• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) More D&D 2024 Tidbits: Aasimar, Goliaths, Town-Eating Gelatinous Cubes

Here are a few more tidbits from Game Informer's magazine coverage of the new edition's rulebooks.

D&D_50th_Wallpaper_Desktop-1920x1080.jpg

Here are a few more tidbits from Game Informer's magazine coverage of the new edition's rulebooks.
  • Iconic characters like Bobby the Barbarian, or Raistlin and Caramon Majere feature in the art.
  • Each class and each subclass has its own piece of art.
  • Species now include Aasimar, Goliath, and Orc.
  • Bastions are in--player built bases.
  • Greyhawk is the sample setting in the Dungeon Master's Guide.
  • Each book is 384 pages.
Monster Manual
  • 75 new monsters in the Monster Manual; over 500 in total.
  • Challenge rating remains the same.
  • There are some new lower challenge vampires, and a higher challenge one called the Nightbringer.
  • Blob of Annihilation is a gelatinous cube that can eat towns.
  • Elemental Juggernaut, Archhag.

Kurotowa

Legend
Surprised I don’t see a new thread (that I can find) dealing with Matt Covilles flee mortals monster book on available on dnd beyond….if there’s point me to it please.
You mean this thread? On the front page? Dude, just Ctrl+F if you don't spot it.

The Game Informer article clearly states that Bastions are in the DMG, and states it is an optional tool to use or not.
Let us pray, pray, pray that they in now way whatsoever resemble the godawful UA we saw. Those were bad on just about every level, but to be fair to WotC, that's probably exactly the feedback they got, given they didn't seem very well-received. How much they've changed and how will be a very interesting demonstration of how much WotC actually listens to the feedback they solicit.

dave2008

Legend
All I remember is that he said the CR system “doesn’t work” and is not what they “use internally”.
No, what they said was the monster builder in the DMG was an imperfect adaptation of the one they use. They will have an approved monster builder in the DMG (they said). That is different than saying CR doesn't work.

Now, it really depends on what you consider is broken to CR, but I would not expect much of change. It works pretty well, IMO, from the correct perspective.

dave2008

Legend
Let us pray, pray, pray that they in now way whatsoever resemble the godawful UA we saw. Those were bad on just about every level, but to be fair to WotC, that's probably exactly the feedback they got, given they didn't seem very well-received. How much they've changed and how will be a very interesting demonstration of how much WotC actually listens to the feedback they solicit.
There were good ideas, but they needed a lot of work IMO. Wish we had another chance to review them.

In general this all seems fine/good - the new monsters seem sensible. I didn't expect CR to go - I do hope they've improved encounter-design recommendations a great deal in the DMG, particularly focusing on moving away from the 6-8 encounters/adventuring day thing (and I do mean moving away, not just trying to end-run around the whole thing by redefining day, that won't work). Bastions are the only thing that's a bit worrying, because the UA was so bad and so board-game-y that it felt like even 4E would have rejected it as "too much".

The art for every class/subclass we already knew but remains a very good idea.

There were good ideas, but they needed a lot of work IMO. Wish we had another chance to review them.
Yeah there were a few decent ideas, but among a lot of profoundly bad ones. So I worry.

No, what they said was the monster builder in the DMG was an imperfect adaptation of the one they use. They will have an approved monster builder in the DMG (they said). That is different than saying CR doesn't work.

Now, it really depends on what you consider is broken to CR, but I would not expect much of change. It works pretty well, IMO, from the correct perspective.
I hope that they give some clarification on what CR actually is, mechanics-wise. It needs a better and more precise definition than "should drain the party of resources"

Remove ads

Remove ads