D&D 5E More details about the VTT from D&D Beyond

Thinking aloud, it would be interesting if the VTT supported different models for the monsters. If the VTT is "edition agnostic", how potentially cool would it be to run say a B/X or 1e game (or even a 5E/OneD&D game) with "old-school" rendered monsters? Say I want to pick an Easley or Elmore styled dragon and a Caldwell Strahd.

CommodoreKong

Explorer
I've personally found that Foundry VTT is easier to learn and use.

I'm currently running a PF2 game in Foundry and I agree it can be easy to learn and use for certain type of people. It does require some technical know how and a willingness to troubleshoot if you self host. There's also ton of modules which require research to see what all you should install/use. If you're a PC game who enjoy modding games than Foundry is for you.

Maybe, rather than ascribe snobbery to it first, consider it as expressing concerns about distraction?
It just feels that way to me, like they are saying “there is no point in having this nice convenient thing, because our imaginations are clearly superior.”
And I have seen several people express sentiments like that.

I like having nice things, when I play in person, I find that mini and terrain elevate the experience, having something that surpasses that on the digital side is something I have dreamed of.

It just feels that way to me, like they are saying “there is no point in having this nice convenient thing, because our imaginations are clearly superior.”
And I have seen several people express sentiments like that.

I like having nice things, when I play in person, I find that mini and terrain elevate the experience, having something that surpasses that on the digital side is something I have dreamed of.

Maybe other people prefer to visualize the scene in their own way and find detailed 3d environments to get in the way of that?

mamba

Legend
Yeah, but it makes the video kind of misleading to the average person whose computer won't have that kind of horsepower.
No, because it won’t need it. You always demo on system that are much better than what you need.

Look at some current games using the engine to get an idea of what is actually needed, and chances are a VTT is at the low end (because there is less for the computer to do than in an actual game)

Unreal Engine 5 recommended requirements according to Epic Games
  • Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit (Version 20H2)
  • Processor: Six-Core Xeon E5-2643 @ 3.4GHz.
  • Memory: 64 GB RAM.
  • Internal storage: 256 GB SSD.
  • External Storage: 2TB SSD.
  • Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER.”
Forget everything but the graphics card, and remember that this is the recommendation, so basically any 2x and 3x series card will do

Remove ads