D&D 5E More details about the VTT from D&D Beyond

Oofta

Legend
A couple of my players have moved or are going to :( so I might have to check this out at some point. Right now we're using zoom, and camera that points at my battle mat. It really depends on how easy it is to manage and build maps and if the group wants a virtual table top. I did Roll20 during COVID, but it's just a pain.

I don't really need a ton of maps since I tend to do TotM for exploration and only pull out minis for combat. The level of animation that they have works for me and because you're still just playing with static minis it shouldn't take too much processing power to run and allow for downgrading of the visuals. Too early to tell of course but I'll be watching to see where it goes.

darjr

I crit!
A couple of my players have moved or are going to :( so I might have to check this out at some point. Right now we're using zoom, and camera that points at my battle mat. It really depends on how easy it is to manage and build maps and if the group wants a virtual table top. I did Roll20 during COVID, but it's just a pain.

I don't really need a ton of maps since I tend to do TotM for exploration and only pull out minis for combat. The level of animation that they have works for me and because you're still just playing with static minis it shouldn't take too much processing power to run and allow for downgrading of the visuals. Too early to tell of course but I'll be watching to see where it goes.
Personally a camera pointed at a map or terrain is my preference.

Oofta

Legend
Personally a camera pointed at a map or terrain is my preference.
It works okay to use a camera*, but can be hard for the people on the other side of the video to really understand what's where. The new VTT might be a good alternative. At least something to experiment with.

*We actually use 2, 1 dedicated camera/mic pointed down at the map and another laptop with the player image and camera pointed at the group.

darjr

I crit!
It works okay to use a camera*, but can be hard for the people on the other side of the video to really understand what's where. The new VTT might be a good alternative. At least something to experiment with.

*We actually use 2, 1 dedicated camera/mic pointed down at the map and another laptop with the player image and camera pointed at the group.
Yea. There was an app that allowed some pointer things etc, but really just pointing the camera at an angle and putting enough terrain that they could describe position helped. As well as taking position and range loosely.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Yea. There was an app that allowed some pointer things etc, but really just pointing the camera at an angle and putting enough terrain that they could describe position helped. As well as taking position and range loosely.
I've been tempted to try this, but never have. Now that I'm painting terrain again (why, oh why, did I buy that?), maybe I will.

Last edited:

Remove ads