D&D (2024) More Dragon Redesign Clues

Parmandur

Book-Friend, he/him
Also this Oath of Vengence Paladin:

Screenshot_20240620_174555_YouTube.jpg

CM

Adventurer
Somewhat amused that there's a miniature set coming in December themed all around dragons and they must not have had the new art in time for the development phase of that.

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
I adore this one. Wasn’t sure about the skull face in the Tiamat image, but it looks great to me in all of these. The spider-like extensions of the wing bones are cool as hell, and I can definitely see the amphibious reptile influence on the body structure. The idea that it’s weaker than other dragons in most stats but higher in dexterity doesn’t really come across to me, but that’s fine, it still looks amazing.
Reaaaaaaally do not like the spider wings. I have arachnophobia. Those literally make my gorge rise.

BB Shockwave

Explorer
I like that these dragons draw on actual lizards for inspiration instead of all looking like a carbon copy of ye olde dragon art. Very nice to think about how other animals' might be seen as part of draconic evolution.
Thing is, after Dragons remaining unchanged (save for a brief Pinocchio stint of the Green in 4E), what was the reason to so drastically redesign iconic creatures that appeared like this in RPGs, books, comics, video games and even movies in the last 25 or so years? To me this is needless redesign, on par with when Michael Bay decided that Optimus Prime needs stupid flames painted on his sides.
Honestly, the more I read of the interviews with the art design guy WotC hired, they more I feel this is just his way to make his mark on a franchise that is likely older than he is.

One thing is for sure, it Wizkids starts making Dragon minis based on this art, then that's it for me, I am not collecting those anymore, not when all my WotC and Wizkids minis since 2004 or so have the older designs. These new ones might as well be McFarlane's Dragons, they look so different.

Thing is, after Dragons remaining unchanged (save for a brief Pinocchio stint of the Green in 4E), what was the reason to so drastically redesign iconic creatures that appeared like this in RPGs, books, comics, video games and even movies in the last 25 or so years? To me this is needless redesign, on par with when Michael Bay decided that Optimus Prime needs stupid flames painted on his sides.
Honestly, the more I read of the interviews with the art design guy WotC hired, they more I feel this is just his way to make his mark on a franchise that is likely older than he is.

One thing is for sure, it Wizkids starts making Dragon minis based on this art, then that's it for me, I am not collecting those anymore, not when all my WotC and Wizkids minis since 2004 or so have the older designs. These new ones might as well be McFarlane's Dragons, they look so different.
These older dragons are redesigns as well, they only first showed up with 3e 24 years ago. I can’t think of a better time to try another redesign than the 50th anniversary.

dave2008

Legend

I'm of the almost the complete opposite opinion. I've been with D&D dragons since the late 70s/early 80s and appreciated the update in 3e and appreciate the update now even more. I love these fresh takes and most of them are still very reminiscent of their heritage. Of the one's we have seen so far the green is the most divergent, but I'm OK with that. It seems to me the designers are thinking about the designs of the dragons for the first since 1e early and I appreciate it. Can't wait to get me some new minis too! (and I have them of the 1e and 3e designs)

FYI, here is a thread I started back in 2019 asking for new dragon designs: Interested in new dragon designs for 5e (5.5e or 6e)?

Remove ads