D&D (2024) More Dragon Redesign Clues

The idea that it’s weaker than other dragons in most stats but higher in dexterity doesn’t really come across to me, but that’s fine, it still looks amazing.
This reminds me I wanted to do a comparison in that Regard of the Highest and Lowest. For an Adult Chromatic Dragon.

Strength. Highest Red, Lowest White.
Dex. Highest Black, Red, Blue and White are tied for Lowest.
Con. Highest Red, Lowest Black
Int. Highest Green, Lowest White.
Wis. Blue and Green tied for Highest, Black Lowest.
Cha. Highest Red, Lowest White.

pukunui

Legend
Not that matching real life animals precisely is important, but many/ most varanids have long necks and big heads.
I'm not familiar with any that have that feature to this ridiculous extent (again, specifically referring to the copper):

Copper Dragon. Art by Svetlin Velinov for the new books.

GQUW6tnXMAAuhnf

Glad it is not just me.
I think I'm going to have to stop looking at these previews. My intense dislike for these new dragon designs is too distressing!

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I'm not familiar with any that have that feature to this ridiculous extent (again, specifically referring to the copper):

I think I'm going to have to stop looking at these previews. My intense dislike for these new dragon designs is too distressing!
I really like the new designs, but I agree that this particular copper dragon art is really not doing it for me. All of the wyrmlings have really cartoony proportions, and why are they all in this place, being watched over by this copper dragon?

Okay. Pic #1 is a Silver Dragonborn. Pic #2 is a Gold Dragonborn. I am guessing #3 is a Bronze Dragonborn. #4 and #5 are a Blue Dragonborn and a White Dragonborn. The pics are somewhat reassuring. They need tails though. 😋

In a Survivor Hottest Dragonborn thread, the Dragonborn from the Baldur's Gate 3 game have more appeal IMO. ;)

These pics of the 2024 Chromatic Dragons and Metallic Dragons, make me wonder about

-what the Gem Dragons might look like in 2024D&D.
They've played around a bit in Fizban's with Gem Dragons, they all have floating crystals like above their heads like horns or floating spikes where their spine is, and of course crystalline shapes in some parts. But no big variations from the Dragon form before, except possibly the thing with Topaz Dragons having their wings backwards.

I really like the new designs, but I agree that this particular copper dragon art is really not doing it for me. All of the wyrmlings have really cartoony proportions, and why are they all in this place, being watched over by this copper dragon?
I seem to recall something about copper dragons being known to foster wyrmlings of other dragon types, presumably in the hopes that their influence might keep the chromatic ones (in particular) from turning out evil.

Honestly don't recall the source for that, though... I'd imagine something 3e, but I'll need to go digging.

Last edited:

Scribe

Legend
Embrace the whimsy.

Remove ads