• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

More from Mearls' blog re: NPC Creation

Steely Dan

Banned
Banned
Greg K said:
So does the 3.0 DMG, but buried in the 3.0 text it states that allowing them is purely optional.

So, what he/she said was "core", and core includes PrCs.

And anyway, everything is optional in Core (D&D, period) when it comes down to it.

The DM states that paladins don't exist in this world, that sort of thing.

rkanodia

First Post
Dr. Awkward said:
Here's a fun one: Spell selection on a Diviner 3/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 8, who gets hit with a lucky Silence spell in round two.
I won't lie. When stuff like that happens, I change the name and the outfit and throw that f**ker right back into the dungeon, a few rooms down.

iskurthi

First Post
Dr. Awkward said:
Here's a fun one: Spell selection on a Diviner 3/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 8, who gets hit with a lucky Silence spell in round two.

At that level he ought to have the Sudden Silent feat, or Silent Spell and a Silent Dimension Door memorized. Or he can cast Spell Immunity: Silence.

If he's really prepared, he could Commune before facing the party and tune his buffs properly.

helium3

First Post
What takes up all that time in statting up NPC's for 3.5?

Figuring out Equipment. I'm "this close" to writing my own database application that'll do it for me the way I want. Some of the 3rd party fan site stuff is nice but it doesn't quite let me do it how I want. Either that or I need to come up with some sort of standard progression for a specific class type. I hunch they're doing this in 4E so maybe I'll just let the dev's do the work for me . . .

I really don't know why everyone has such an issue with skills. I basically just figure out what skills I want the NPC to have and assume they have max ranks. Sometimes I even let them have skills that they shouldn't because it fits the NPC's theme, but I never give them more skill points than allowed. I can't imagine why this would be really time consuming unless someone's trying to optimize skills to a really pick level. Oh, and I guess I do ignore synergies unless it's a really common one I'm familiar enough with to remember off the top of my head.

That being said, where I've had more trouble with skills is when I'm trying to advance a monster and give it elite stats at the same time. I don't know if I'm missing some rule somewhere but it seems like a lot of the monsters have +/- two ranks in their skills, even when I take into account size modifiers for some skills and various feats. But really, we're talking about an error of +2 to -2 so it's not generally that big of a deal.

And feats? *shrug* I don't have much problem with this, but then I rarely use the feats from the splat books. In fact, I generally only use them if a player's getting good use out of one in the game. Then I'll start using it.

Mercule

Adventurer
Simon Marks said:
In my case, this is demonstrably false. I am not a unique case. Apparently, WotC deems me and people like me to be the majority.

Agreed. I've done core NPCs and it was a PITA. My prior example was simply the one that turned on the light bulb.

helium3

First Post
grimslade said:
THe NPC is barely a speed bump. Even worse character development happens over time, broken up into nice level advancement chunks. NPCs are done all at once. It is awful for a DM.

If he's a speed bump, why bother with all that? Just give him a smattering of items eyeballed to an order of magnitude, give him two spells of each of the levels he can cast and assume his DC's are maxed out, give him one or two signature feats that "do something" that the characters can see, figure out his touch and ranged touch attacks and his saves.

And you're done.

If by chance the NPC manages to become a recurring villain, stat him out fully at a later date. I doubt the players will notice the difference.

Kraydak

First Post
Simon Marks said:
In my case, this is demonstrably false. I am not a unique case. Apparently, WotC deems me and people like me to be the majority.

Where do we go from here?

So, given no Mearls, what makes statting up a core 3e NPC take time for you? If you have time, please, sit down and do a few.

If the answer is indecision (my personal guess), I'm afraid it'll stay with you in 4e. If anything it'll get worse. The fighter types have *options* in 4e, while they really don't in 3rd.

JohnSnow

Hero
Kraydak said:
So, given no Mearls, what makes statting up a core 3e NPC take time for you? If you have time, please, sit down and do a few.

If the answer is indecision (my personal guess), I'm afraid it'll stay with you in 4e. If anything it'll get worse. The fighter types have *options* in 4e, while they really don't in 3rd.

Well, I'm not Simon, but I'll answer from my own perspective. What takes time?

In Third Edition, it's important what order you buy feats in. And skill points. It's important what your starting numbers are, and what your starting numbers become. So, to do it right, you actually have to build a character level by level. You can't just decide to build a 7th-level wizard - you have to build a 1st-level wizard and level him up, one level at a time. Otherwise, you might "break" the rules.

And that step-by-step process takes time.

As far as indecision goes, I think it's a safe bet that there will be fewer "landmines" in character creation in Fourth Edition. Monte Cook has flat out stated that they deliberately put poor options (and superior ones) in 3e as a way of rewarding players for their "game mastery." As you learn the system, you learn what combinations not to take. Fourth Edition will not have those. Or if it does, it's because they're flaws that slipped thru, not because they were placed there on purpose.

In Fourth Edition, the designers have stated that the "smart" decisions will also be the "correct" ones. Unlike Third Edition, there are no landmines and no hidden flaws intended to trap the inexperienced (or unwary) player. And that alone will speed up creation tremendously.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Kraydak said:

I'm curious whether or not you've noticed all the threads about how it takes too long to make NPCs that have been on ENWorld over the past several years.

Remove ads