• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

More Keyword mess...

Bagpuss

Legend
Just to point out what a mess they are making with Keywords in 4th Ed.

The new Class Act's introduces Illusion Powers for Wizards as attack spells, here's an example, the rest is here

Illusory Ambush Wizard Attack 1
You create an illusion of swirling spectral assailants that swarm over your enemy.
At-Will ✦ Arcane, Illusion, Implement
Standard Action Ranged 10
Target: One creature
Attack: Intelligence vs. Will
Hit: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier psychic damage, and the target takes a –2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of your next turn.
Increase damage to 2d6 + Intelligence modifier at 21st level.

So what happens when this Wizard uses that power on a Cyclops?

They have Truesight 6, which them immune to illusions within 6 squares. Psychic is a keyword for damage, yet isn't in the Keyword line. So does that mean the Cyclops is immune to the power and takes no damage or not?

FireLance

Legend
Bagpuss said:
So what happens when this Wizard uses that power on a Cyclops?

They have Truesight 6, which them immune to illusions within 6 squares. Psychic is a keyword for damage, yet isn't in the Keyword line. So does that mean the Cyclops is immune to the power and takes no damage or not?
Simply on the basis that it does have the Illusion keyword, I'd say that the Cyclops takes no damage. Even if it also had the Psychic keyword, I'd say that the Cyclops takes no damage because it will still have the Illusion keyword.

Otterscrubber

First Post
FireLance said:
Simply on the basis that it does have the Illusion keyword, I'd say that the Cyclops takes no damage. Even if it also had the Psychic keyword, I'd say that the Cyclops takes no damage because it will still have the Illusion keyword.

Agreed. If psychic is not one of the keywords for the power, then it is not a psychic power regardless of the damage it does. However, it is clearly an illusion power, which they are immune to.

Oompa

First Post
But it is also arcane right? So he would get half damage?

I thought i readt somewhere in the books, if someone is immune for acid, and an power does acid and fire, they would still get fire.. does this also work with arcane and illusion?

hong

WotC's bitch
"Arcane" is not a damage type, nor is "illusion". Psychic is the damage type, as seen by how it says "psychic damage".

Bagpuss

Legend
FireLance said:
Even if it also had the Psychic keyword, I'd say that the Cyclops takes no damage because it will still have the Illusion keyword.

If it had the Psychic keyword then I would expect them to take damage, because it would also be a psychic attack. In fact they would take full damage because they aren't immune to any of the damage keywords.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
hong said:
"Arcane" is not a damage type, nor is "illusion". Psychic is the damage type, as seen by how it says "psychic damage".
Correct. So a cyclop would see through the illusions (for example the illusory wall), but still take the psychic damage from powers with the illusion keyword.

Bagpuss

Legend
Nikosandros said:
Correct. So a cyclop would see through the illusions (for example the illusory wall), but still take the psychic damage from powers with the illusion keyword.

For that to be true I would have expected Psychic to be a a keyword on the keyword line. There doesn't seem to be a reason not to include it there.

Remove ads