• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

More killer spell combos

UltimaGabe

First Post
Hypersmurf said:

Well, if you're Held, Paralyzed, or otherwise kept from moving at all, a Blade Barrier could be cast through your square (so that your square is one of the squares of the barrier). Since you're unable to move, you can't make the Reflex save to move to either side- thus resulting in your taking damage for the duration of the spell, your paralysis, or your life, whichever is shortest.

Delay Death from the Mini's Handbook and Summon Monster (dire warthog).

Since the warthog continues to act even at negative hp and Delay Death ignores the -10 death point you end up with a monster that just won't die.

Works on PCs with right feats as well.

Nyarlathotep

Explorer
UltimaGabe said:
Well, if you're Held, Paralyzed, or otherwise kept from moving at all, a Blade Barrier could be cast through your square (so that your square is one of the squares of the barrier). Since you're unable to move, you can't make the Reflex save to move to either side- thus resulting in your taking damage for the duration of the spell, your paralysis, or your life, whichever is shortest.

Isn't there something in the FAQ or Errata that says that you always get a Reflex save even if you are paralyzed, held, asleep etc.? I could have sworn I saw some debate about it around here.

The ref save for BB is specifically to allow you to move out of the area on your next action; you can't save and stay in place without taking damage. So yes, you would get a save if held but no, you wouldn't be able to take advantage of it.

Vrecknidj

Explorer
I had a group of PCs digging around a duergar lair. Getting in required traversing partially collapsed tunnels and all the rest. Later, to get further in, the PCs also had to get down to a lower level through a hole--they used a rope.

Once the PCs got to a place where the duergar thought that they'd gotten far enough, the duergar spellcasters tossed in a Silence and a Deeper Darkness. The party members were, for the most part, totally screwed (nothing like going from paranoid to paranoid plus blind and deaf!).

As the PCs groped their way through, the found that they were walking over caltrops (not to mention tripping over one another). As some got out of the Silence before others, they couldn't help guide those still trapped within the Silence.

The duergar couldn't see in the darkness either, but they had set up some good traps around the perimeter of the area and only a few of the PCs escaped.

Dave

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
UltimaGabe said:
Since you're unable to move, you can't make the Reflex save to move to either side- thus resulting in your taking damage for the duration of the spell...

No, you take damage when the spell comes into effect, and when you pass through the barrier. If you're just standing there, and don't actually pass through the barrier, you only take damage the when it first appears.

When the Hold wears off, and you pass through in one direction or the other, then you'll take a second lot of damage.

-Hyp.

Lodow MoBo

First Post
Web and stinking cloud.

stinking cloud reduces the player to only moves. Its a standard action action to move through a web. Entangled characters have a hard time casting.

Lodow MoBo

First Post
In general grease is great for shutting down the boss fighter. You can grease his uber weapon. Each round a reflex save must be made or it drops. I've also seen it used to make a lich drop his staff of fire. The DM did not like that one. I dod not know of a first lvl spell which can really turn an encounter around like it. I thought it was worth mentioning even though it's not a combo

Remove ads