• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

More killer spell combos

Caliban

Rules Monkey
A couple of combo's I've been using with my sorcerer:

Empowered Ray of Enfeeblement + Web = most creatures are rendered incapable (or nearly so) of movement.

Follow it up with a Fireball, their reflex saves are at a -2 due to being entangled, and they take an extra +2d4 fire damage (no save) from the burning webs.

If you have more time (or multiple targets), toss a Slow into the mix, with reduces their Reflex saves against the Web, and then they will have a -3 on their save against the fireball.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Stinking Cloud plus 3.5 Hold Person.

If the fail any Fort Save while they're in the Stinking Cloud, they are nauseated until a few rounds after they leave the cloud.

Making a save each round against the Hold Person requires a Full Round action, but being nauseated restricts you to a Move action only.

So while you can normally negate Stinking Cloud by walking out of it long before the duration expires, and you can normally negate Hold Person by making another save long before the duration expires, the Hold prevents you beating the Cloud, and the Cloud prevents you beating the Hold...

-Hyp.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
So while you can normally negate Stinking Cloud by walking out of it long before the duration expires, and you can normally negate Hold Person by making another save long before the duration expires, the Hold prevents you beating the Cloud, and the Cloud prevents you beating the Hold...
That's beautiful. It makes me wish I were playing a spellcaster atm....

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Lord Pendragon said:
That's beautiful. It makes me wish I were playing a spellcaster atm....

It still requires them to fail at least one Will save and one Fort save, but if they do, then both spells work much better than normal.

-Hyp.

Li Shenron

Legend
Hypersmurf said:
Stinking Cloud plus 3.5 Hold Person.

If the fail any Fort Save while they're in the Stinking Cloud, they are nauseated until a few rounds after they leave the cloud.

Making a save each round against the Hold Person requires a Full Round action, but being nauseated restricts you to a Move action only.

-Hyp.

That's a great catch. :) Although it also makes me sad because it's clearly a fault of the rules.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
I originally thought this was a fault of the rules, but think about it: the full-round action for Hold Person probably represents the intense concentrated act of will that it takes to break free from the spell. The reduction to move-only actions from Stinking Cloud represents the fact that you're too busy being sick to get much else accomplished.

It makes sense to me that your intense nausea from Stinking Cloud would interfere with your ability to summon the will to break free from Hold Person.

Great combo!

Daniel

Kershek

Sci-Fi Newshound
ForceUser said:
Ahem. Old trick in our playbook now, but I haven't seen it mentioned yet.

Solid Fog + Cloudkill.

Game Over.
With Solid Fog, the spell states your speed becomes 5 feet. Does this mean you could perform a run action and move 20 feet in one round? In that case you can most likely get out of Solid Fog in one round most all the time.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Kershek said:
With Solid Fog, the spell states your speed becomes 5 feet. Does this mean you could perform a run action and move 20 feet in one round? In that case you can most likely get out of Solid Fog in one round most all the time.

Well, actually the spell says that any creature trying to move through it "progresses at a speed of 5 feet".

Which is a little different. Mainly because noone knows what the hell it means. It COULD mean that every creature in the cloud is given a base speed of 5 feet. It COULD also mean that in a single action, you can only move 5 feet. It COULD also mean that the most you can move in a round (regardless of the action take) is 5 feet. I really don't know.

I don't think any of those possibilities are too powerful for the spell (or for it's cousin, acid fog) on a numerical basis.

I think escaping it in a single round is probably a bit too easy.

shilsen

Adventurer
Kershek said:
I take it that one's base speed when moving through the Solid Fog is 5 ft. Since you "can't run across difficult terrain ... or if you can't see where you're going", (I'd say you can't run through Solid Fog.

Remove ads