D&D 5E Morningstar: Age of Majesty; a campaign setting for 5e.

shadow

First Post
I remember picking up then 3e Morningstar book back in the day. There were some neat concepts, but I felt too many things weren't explained enough (for example, the nexuses) and there weren't enough details about the different nations and cultures. So, if the 5e version manages to explain too explain things better and flesh out some of the details, it might be a setting I would consider picking up.

RSKennan

Explorer
I don't know anything about the Morningstar setting, but I would like to second this. As a DM, I already have my own preference for HP systems, magic systems, etc. I'll use the mechanics that give me what I want mechanically, and I'll use the settings that give me what I want thematically. If a setting comes with mechanics, they should be very important to what makes the setting unique.

I should clarify this; In the blog post I mentioned variant rules I'll be posting on my site, such as the aforementioned Healing rules. These would not be part of the Morningstar Setting, per se- they're just some rules I wrote for my own, medieval game.

Worlds Workshop isn't a company- It's just me and my projects. There will frequently be diverse things there, but everything will be labeled. I will also make a submenu for each project as work gets done.

As for the mechanics I will be including in the setting- they will all have a part to play in making the themes and logic of the setting work. I made the mistake of including things just because I thought they were cool (without regard to how well they fit) the first time, and I won't do it again.

Thanks for everyone's input. It's very helpful.

RSKennan

Explorer
I remember picking up then 3e Morningstar book back in the day. There were some neat concepts, but I felt too many things weren't explained enough (for example, the nexuses) and there weren't enough details about the different nations and cultures. So, if the 5e version manages to explain too explain things better and flesh out some of the details, it might be a setting I would consider picking up.

I will do my best. I'll be as clear and detailed as I can. I also plan to give each empire a full treatment this time around.

RSKennan

Explorer
I've updated the blog with a new post giving more detail on the setting. I tried to emphasize the action and potential for conflict. Also included is a preview of the world map I'm making.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
To echo some others: what's in it for me as a player?

You need more reason than a class designed to let you look like this?

leonidas.jpg

This is madness.

RSKennan: have you considered completely separating M:AoM from any one RPG? I believe they're doing this with Dragon Kings. I'm just not sure if it would expand or reduce your market.

RSKennan

Explorer
I have considered it, but it really delves into the idea of the Golden Age that came before a typical D&D setting, and presents a world that never moved on. There are a lot of D&Disms in it.Something to think about though.

edit: typoes on my iphone. En World isn't displaying properly.

Last edited:

RSKennan

Explorer
I’m really sorry for necroing this thread after so long, but I just got an email asking me to update it with my new site’s address from someone who wanted more info after finding this thread. You see, during a cross-country move there was a technical issue I couldn’t solve in time that got my last site shut down. I started a new one, which really doesn’t have much Morningstar material on it yet.

Regardless, the email was asking about Morningstar: Age of Majesty, and as a result of it and other recent inquiries, I’ll be looking into the feasibility of getting this book out. I had stopped work on it as a result of an apparent lack of interest from the potential audience, but I think it might have been a mistake. I have a friend who will be helping me determine whether that’s the case. He has experience with publishing and with fulfilling Kickstarters.

As for work on the project, I have the hard part done already, which for me, was the setting-specific crunch. That’s why this thread had a crunchy focus on my end- it was the part I had to finish first. There’s not an unreasonable amount of it, and it all directly works to fill out the setting. I’ll be putting some of it online in the coming weeks, on my new site, Yetzirahgames.com. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:

Dennis Pascale

Villager
I’m really sorry for necroing this thread after so long, but I just got an email asking me to update it with my new site’s address from someone who wanted more info after finding this thread. You see, during a cross-country move there was a technical issue I couldn’t solve in time that got my last site shut down. I started a new one, which really doesn’t have much Morningstar material on it yet.

Regardless, the email was asking about Morningstar: Age of Majesty, and as a result of it and other recent inquiries, I’ll be looking into the feasibility of getting this book out. I had stopped work on it as a result of an apparent lack of interest from the potential audience, but I think it might have been a mistake. I have a friend who will be helping me determine whether that’s the case. He has experience with publishing and with fulfilling Kickstarters.

As for work on the project, I have the hard part done already, which for me, was the setting-specific crunch. That’s why this thread had a crunchy focus on my end- it was the part I had to finish first. There’s not an unreasonable amount of it, and it all directly works to fill out the setting. I’ll be putting some of it online in the coming weeks, on my new site, Yetzirahgames.com. Thanks for reading.

Thank you for the update. I came across this thread thanks to your last post. I also linked up to your new website. I for one, (I know that's not a lot yet but it's a start) would really look forward to seeing this setting get a 5e update. I purchased your 3rd Edition version pdf and have enjoyed reading up on the setting. It's something different yet familiar. What drew me in was your inclusion of the cultures we don't get to see too often in standard D&D, such as your take on cultures from India and Africa, as well as the Greek feel to the campaign. My group is playing in a homebrew world currently and I've included those same cultures into my world, but we haven't really scratched the surface yet. I look forward to seeing what develops.

Remove ads