Morrus' Gen Con Report

Bagpuss

Legend
Great report Morrus, on the shame you had to spend half a day in a queue of some form, but on the plus side that seems to be required for the full GenCon experience this year. :rolleyes:

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
Sounds like you had a great time.

And honestly some Americans eh? You should have given the girl the number to This Morning or something. Now that would have surprised her. As a victim of many tourists, I can see how alien they all were ;).

And next time you have trouble at an airport, just get a cheap camera out, tell them it is digital and you are recording. It gets things sorted amazingly fast.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

she told us that she was fascinated by all this "other country" stuff and would love to visit England but she thought that learning a new language would be a little difficult; her colleague nudged her politely and pointed out that the English speak... err... English.

Straight out of a movie....ROFLMAO. I was rolling after reading this, unbelievable.

Glad you had fun overall. Hopefully next time your travel will be better and they won't have so many problems with registration at GenCon.

kkoie

First Post
I just wanted to chime in and say that not everyone in Indianapolis are morons when it comes to Englands location and choice of language :D

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Ravellion said:
Didn't people, and the girl who tried to get your number in particular, recognise your accent as not-American? Or do you fake an American accent like I 'fake' my English accent? :)

He always pretends that he's from Texas; don't ask me why. But the cowboy hat and boots - and the lariat - get to be a bit much. :D

Henry

Autoexreginated
Russ, I knew about the luggage, but I had no idea about the other insanity...

I'm sorry to hear it, though I am glad you and Jane are back and in one piece! :)

Barak

First Post
Well, you can easily find americans with little knowledge of geography. I once argued for about 15 minutes with a girl that, no, I wasn't american, I was from Montreal. But she was convinced Montreal was in the states. Finally I told her she was right.

Considering the luggage issue, maybe it -was- a good thing they didn't mail the badges to him. They very well might have been -in- the luggage, which probably would have made things even worse..

About the ID.. I usually show them some sort of ID from Canada. They get all confused, and let me in in fear of getting a headache. I'm sure a library card from England would have worked. I once got in with a card from a Video Store. :)

diaglo

Adventurer
Barak said:
Well, you can easily find americans with little knowledge of geography.

it works in reverse too. i take a trip to England (cuz i have family there) at least once every 3 years.

i love it when i meet people there. they say, "You're from the US. Where?" i reply GA. and then they go on about visiting me and renting a car to visit the Grand Canyon.:eek:

edit: to stay on topic. i'm sorry i didn't get to meet you, Morrus.:(

Last edited:

Remove ads