D&D 5E Most incongruent character

BlackSeed_Vash

Explorer
A Dwarven Swashbuckler Rogue who's preferred tactic was to saunter up to her enemies and drag one of them off for some alone time with Mister Sting. There was a whole bee theme going on (nobleman's daughter who's main export was honey mead). Prioritized Strength, Constitution, and Charisma; in that order. Her name was Beatrix Flora Guile, those most called her Bee. Party found the pun beguile fairly quickly; though BFG took them nearly a year to figure out. By level 11 she was rolling a minimum of 22 on Grapple checks thanks to Reliable Talent and Expertise.

Gnoll Artificer was pretty oddball, until they took a level of Barbarian, and then it became more about the oddity if the MC build.

In the ZEITGEIST setting, there's a culture of gnolls who worshiped a red dragon and served as his forge slaves, inventing all sorts of arcane technology, but keeping it secret, Wakanda-style. Eventually the dragon was slain, but the gnolls were convinced he'd return, so they've kept innovating in hiding, and only recently revealed themselves to the world. In many ways they're ahead of the rest of the globe technologically, but they have an odd taboo that they think metal is superior to flesh, and only a rare few are worthy of touching metal with their bare skin.

Most of them wear thick gloves and carry kerchiefs just in case they need to touch something metal. Their devotion to this belief lets them touch mechanical objects and break them with a thought.

I rather liked (in Pathfinder) a paladin/kineticist who would smite enemies with psychic lightning.

In 5E, we had a bard 3/warlock 3/rogue 2 with 18 Strength who specialized in using Enhance Ability and bardic inspiration to pull off ludicrous Athletics checks to grapple enemies, then used Cunning Action to Dash the enemy off a cliff.

The sub-climax of the campaign had an archmage riding atop a war elephant amid an army that he was bringing to lay waste to the party's home. The PCs got wind of this and enacted ...

OPERATION BLOODTALON

This involved four spellcasting PCs pooling their resources for maximum jank. The party found a hill to hide behind that was just the right distance from the road. They had some centaur allies ready to launch a diversionary attack right when the elephant got to the ideal spot. Round one, the team buffed the bard with invisibility, fly, enlarge, and enhance ability. Then the bard flew over the hill and parked himself next to the archmage. The archmage fireballed the centaurs.

Round two, the bard grabbed and dashed back to the rest of the party. Everyone attacked the archmage, including the party fighter action surging, and they killed him in one round. Then they dimension doored out of sight before anyone from the army could come around the hill to find them.

After that, the army lost cohesion, and the party basically won without a fight.

Last edited:

Arial Black

Adventurer
I rolled and played a Barbarian/Warlock.

I had intended to roll up a Hexblade (new at the time), but my rolls were 18 17 17 14 13 5, and my first thought was if I took variant human I could have three 18s in my physical stats!

Of course I could've made a great Hexblade with those rolls (or anything else!) but the idea of a 'perfect human' stayed with me and evolved.

I won't bore you with yet another (awesome, BTW!) backstory, but once I'd decided to make my three physical stats 18, Hexblade seemed pointless. I wanted to put those three 18s into good use, while still being a warlock.

So I started as Bar 1, then switched to warlock (fiendish bladepact) up to Bar 1/ War 5, then got to Bar 3/War 5 (I chose the Zealot subclass for story reasons), then switched back to warlock. I'm Bar 3/War 11 right now.

At first glance the two classes seem incompatible because you cannot cast or concentrate on a spell while Raging. This is a problem, but it ceases to be a problem if you don't have any concentration combat spells and don't intend to cast during your rage.

So pre-cast armour of agathys, then on round one cast a pre-asskicking fireball, Rage and move into melee, trying to provoke as many opportunity attacks as you can. After that it's all melee. Your damage resistance makes your AofA last over twice as long, and by the time it has gone away you constantly gain and use THPs from Dark One's Blessing. The rest is gravy!

Tremendously effective and enjoyable, even though my Cha is only 14. My Int of 5 ceased to be a problem when I got a Headband of Intellect.

Remove ads