Most mispronounced monster names

reveal said:
Huh. How is it pronounced then? I've always pronounced it as "bullet." I have brought shame on my family. ;)

Think like a Frenchman.

Boo-Lay.

And Jerry Lewis is God.

Show intense disdain for all other humans as they are little better than apes.

Henry

Autoexreginated
for Cthulhu, affix the tip of your tongue to the roof of your mouth just behind the top front incisors, then say the words "Kluh-luh", and slightly gargle your phlegm as you say it. That's pretty close to the Deep One Pronunciation, according to HP Lovecraft. :D

Rykion

Explorer
Bullette is only mispronounced because people pronounce it the way it should be pronounced. The -ette ending comes to English from French and is properly pronounced like the -et in bullet. I don't know why they insisted on Bullette being pronounced Bool-ay.

Edit: The french would pronounce Bullette roughly like the English pronounce bullet. Now the word bullet in French would be pronounced bool-ay.

Last edited:

freebfrost

Explorer
shaylon said:
What about Chtulu? I am not even sure I spelled that right, let alone how to pronouce it. I heard 4 different pronounciations at Origins.

-Shay
From hplovecraft.com:

"The actual sound—as nearly as human organs could imitate it or human letters record it—may be taken as something like Khlûl’-hloo, with the first syllable pronounced gutturally and very thickly. The u is about like that in full; and the first syllable is not unlike klul in sound, since the h represents the guttural thickness. The second syllable is not very well rendered—the l sound being unrepresented. (to Duane Rimel, 23 July 1934)

The best approximation one can make is to grunt, bark, or cough the imperfectly-formed syllables Cluh-Luh with the tip of the tongue firmly affixed to the roof of the mouth. (to Willis Conover, 29 August 1936)

In “Lovecraft in Providence,” Donald Wandrei claims that Lovecraft pronounced it “K-Lütl-Lütl,” yet in the above-mentioned letter to Duane Rimel, Lovecraft claims that Wandrei’s comments on the pronunciation of the term are “largely fictitious.” Robert H. Barlow, in On Lovecraft and Life, claimed that Lovecraft pronounced it “Koot-u-lew.” One can’t help but think that Lovecraft was toying with his friends, since everyone’s pronunciations differ, including his own. Ultimately, does it really matter?"

(Lose d100 Sanity) :confused:

Psion

Adventurer
reveal said:
Huh. How is it pronounced then? I've always pronounced it as "bullet." I have brought shame on my family. ;)

Careful how you answer that question. (cocks shotgun) There had better be a "t" sound in there, but othur' than that, I ain't picky. ;)

griff_goodbeard

First Post
On a related note I gamed exclusivly with a group of friends from the time I was thirteen till about two years ago (I'm 28 now) when I moved. I found a new group and get along really well with them, but it's staggering how many monsters they pronounce differetly from me.:D /hijak

We now return you to your regularly schedualed thread, currently in progress:p

shaylon

First Post
freebfrost said:
From hplovecraft.com:

"The actual sound—as nearly as human organs could imitate it or human letters record it—may be taken as something like Khlûl’-hloo, with the first syllable pronounced gutturally and very thickly. The u is about like that in full; and the first syllable is not unlike klul in sound, since the h represents the guttural thickness. The second syllable is not very well rendered—the l sound being unrepresented. (to Duane Rimel, 23 July 1934)

The best approximation one can make is to grunt, bark, or cough the imperfectly-formed syllables Cluh-Luh with the tip of the tongue firmly affixed to the roof of the mouth. (to Willis Conover, 29 August 1936)

In “Lovecraft in Providence,” Donald Wandrei claims that Lovecraft pronounced it “K-Lütl-Lütl,” yet in the above-mentioned letter to Duane Rimel, Lovecraft claims that Wandrei’s comments on the pronunciation of the term are “largely fictitious.” Robert H. Barlow, in On Lovecraft and Life, claimed that Lovecraft pronounced it “Koot-u-lew.” One can’t help but think that Lovecraft was toying with his friends, since everyone’s pronunciations differ, including his own. Ultimately, does it really matter?"

(Lose d100 Sanity) :confused:

Uh, yeah. That really clears it up. I am going with Chew-2-Lou and if fanboys want to take a swing I will have to be ready.

::dons Magical Helm as walks by Chew-2-Lou games at GenCon::

-Shay :)

Remove ads