Most mispronounced monster names

reveal

Adventurer
Vraille Darkfang said:
Lich: "Now I know I put that scroll over by these brassieres. Maybe in this Underwire... YEOWWW!!!"

PC: "I'm sorry but according to my heal check, you have some Prostate Problems. Namely, a lack of one. Sorry if my Adamantine Gauntlets are a bit cold."

You'd meteor swarm too.

If I were the lich, I would have cast Finger of Death, just for the irony.

kenobi65

First Post
Catoblepas.

Paladin. (Yup, I joined a new group some years ago, and found that they *all* prounced it puh-LAD-in. At first I thought it was an inside joke.)

reveal

Adventurer
kenobi65 said:
Paladin. (Yup, I joined a new group some years ago, and found that they *all* prounced it puh-LAD-in. At first I thought it was an inside joke.)

I usually don't give people grief if they pronounce a fantastical word differently then I would. But if the word in question is in the freaking dictionary, I think I would correct them every time they said it. ;)

Rykion

Explorer
kenobi65 said:

I heard someone trying to identify a miniature at Origins using this pronunciation. It took a while for the guy behind the counter to realize he wanted a paladin.

Bullette is still my favorite as boo-lay is an official pronunciation that only an English speaker could invent. It strangely fits as English is full of words that don't follow the rules of pronunciation.

Last edited:

wingsandsword said:
I knew of a DM who pronounced "Lich" and "Leak", which lead to this very interesting encounter:

DM: You enter the throne room, there is a leak by the far wall between the braziers.
Player: A leak?
DM: Yes, a leak.
Player: I stick my finger in it.
DM: Uh, okay. It casts Meteor Swarm on you, roll for initiative.

(This was the last time that group played with that DM).
The real question is--how did he pronounce braziers? I mean, depending, I would have stuck my finger on it too. Although a leak in that area can't be good... :\

eris404

Explorer
Well, OK, not to turn this into the old "how do you pronouce drow" thread, but for the names listed so far in this thread - how are they actually pronounced? I know some of them have been (more or less) officially explained, but I don't think I've seen a pronunciation guide for all of these (unless there was another thread somewhere that I missed).

the Jester

Legend
Vraille Darkfang said:
Think like a Frenchman.

Boo-Lay.

This is a very common misconception. In French, "bullette" would be pronounced BOO-lett.

Very similar to bullet.

If it was spelled bullet, the French pronounciation would be closer to Boo-Lay.

Remove ads