D&D 5E Most User-Friendly VTT? (Dice Games In The Time of Covid)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
So, my group obviously isn't going to not play dnd. None of us really want to train a new tool proficiency just to play on roll20. Fantasy Grounds is expensive. Found one that looks slick but is kinda buggy called Astral. Apparently there are several others.

The question is, are literally any of them actually user-friendly? I remember using the beta 4e vtt and really liking it even in unfinished state. I didn't have to master a new skill to use it, it just worked, IIRC.

Anything around that is just easy to sit down and use? I'm fine with less features or whatever, I just want the thing to work without a steep learning curve. Video-chat is a plus, but we can do without it.

Shiroiken

Legend
Roll20 is a very simple system if you don't want to do anything fancy (just rolling dice and moving miniatures). The problem is that there's a learning curve if you want to get into the more advanced options (character sheets, macros, etc.). It's more work for the DM if you use miniatures, because unless you can search for a workable map with its search engine, you've got to draw the maps out (I suggest using polylines, and stopping often to limit errors).

I agree, Roll20, while it doesn’t look very slick in my opinion, seems to have become the defacto standard for vtt. I’m hoping they work on an overhaul of the interface, and pay some UI/UX people to really give it something special. But it works pretty well.

If you have PCs with at least a decent integrated graphics, there are things like Talespire (Beta for backers, I think there’s still time to make a late pledge, is coming at the end of the month), and of course Tabletop Simulator on Steam. Multiverse is an interesting pixel-art focused thing, but it’s only just started its kickstarter. Might be one to watch in future.

You can always roll your own, though. I used a screensharing app like Google Hangouts or Zoom and a Swordfish Islands map loaded into a photoshop lite tool (Gimp), with a layer over the top to simulate fog of war (just made a white layer on the top, then erased it as the players progressed), it actually worked surprisingly well, but it’s cumbersome in other ways, and players see Gimp’s UI which is probably distracting to some.

Myself, I’m the opposite, though, I feel like having the video chat is the closest to in person for the types of ttrpgs I prefer. You can see people’s expressions, if they’re emoting, and just feel connected to the roleplaying experience than voices shouting into the cold void, all staring at a map from an overhead perspective. But to each his or her own. We just use Google hangouts and some online dice rollers (there’s tons) that have multiplayer rooms, we have our character sheets in a Google sheet, and it seems to work well for the games we play.

Good luck, though, I’m sure you’ll find something that works in these horribly uncertain times. At least we’re making time for rp gaming, so that’s something!

jedijon

Explorer
The way I used to play - maps & minis

The way I play - description & decisions

Could well be that by removing use of hit points almost entirely, a videoconference would generate some sessions you’ll treasure.

cmad1977

Hero
Roll20 + discord video. Especially if you have a second monitor.

If you don’t want to bother with maps(which don’t HAVE to be detailed, a lot of times I just scribble on the map and go with it. Much like real life!) just use video chat and let people roll at home.

The learning curve of Roll20 and it’s basic assets isn’t that high. I use a bunch of the advanced features at times now but it’s all bells and whistles that aren’t necessary for a game. When I started I ran RoT using the free version and it worked fine.

Your first session will likely have some technical issues to iron out before it works well but that goes for seemingly EVERY tech communication application.

doctorbadwolf

Interesting. Thanks for the replies. If roll20 is the simplest thing out there...I probably just am not someone who is gonna want to use a vtt.

I don’t want to watch a tutorial to figure out how to let players move an asset, or to have a torch throw out the correct area of light. I think what I would want probably requires a vtt built for a specific system.

Thanks for the thoughts tho.

doctorbadwolf

Roll20 is a very simple system if you don't want to do anything fancy (just rolling dice and moving miniatures). The problem is that there's a learning curve if you want to get into the more advanced options (character sheets, macros, etc.). It's more work for the DM if you use miniatures, because unless you can search for a workable map with its search engine, you've got to draw the maps out (I suggest using polylines, and stopping often to limit errors).
I find it’s only simple for showing everyone a map or other thing that would normally be a paper handout. Actually using it to run a fight is simple by some definition, but still requires tutorials and spending time to learn how to do even basic stuff like adding an asset and the giving control of it to a player.

Oldtimer

Great Old One
Publisher
My gaming group tried to play over Roll20 tonight, since we didn't want to meet during the pandemic. After trying for almost an hour to get everyone to hear everyone else, we gave up. We simply couldn't get Roll20 to work. I suppose we'll try Fantasy Grounds instead next week.

Remove ads