Motherland Fort Salem - anyone seen it on Freeform?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Is anyone watching Motherland Fort Salem? The show on Freeform follows three young witch recruits from basic training in combat magic into early deployment, the premise being that 300 years ago the Salem Accord was drafted into the US Constitution sparing witches from persecution but conscripting them into a military force. The US is now matriarchal with its all female Witch Army, men at home caring for the children and a black female president:)

Saw first 2 episodes and enjoyed them and thought it was an interesting take on how 'combat magic' might be incorporated into a society. Its Magic system involved Witches using different vocal tones to channel 'storms', there also seems to be some fire magic going on and hints at necromancy

Randomthoughts

Adventurer
Is anyone watching Motherland Fort Salem? The show on Freeform follows three young witch recruits from basic training in combat magic into early deployment, the premise being that 300 years ago the Salem Accord was drafted into the US Constitution sparing witches from persecution but conscripting them into a military force. The US is now matriarchal with its all female Witch Army, men at home caring for the children and a black female president:)

Saw first 2 episodes and enjoyed them and thought it was an interesting take on how 'combat magic' might be incorporated into a society. Its Magic system involved Witches using different vocal tones to channel 'storms', there also seems to be some fire magic going on and hints at necromancy
I'm watching this on Hulu, and I'm almost done (last or second-to-last episode). It's an excellent series and well worth watching!

It's a show I'd think gamers like us would just gobble up. You mentioned a few things about its world-building, which to me has been its major draw. There's so many details that are dropped each episode - some subtle, some quite obvious and important - that only makes me want to know more and explore "WHAT IF". The acting is solid - though a bit heavy on the YA drama side - especially the three main characters, who are already revealing unique personalities, gifts and backstories. Plus, the action, including combat magic (and combat drops!) is great. It's a little slow in the beginning but picks up.

It's not perfect, but I'm glad its been renewed for next season. If you think about it, it's a military show with interesting twists. I'm hoping the show finds its stride in season 2. It's close but needs some improvement to fully unleash its potential.

Remove ads