D&D 4E Mouseferatu weighs in on 4e

Hussar

Legend
Considering how much I like what the Mouse has done in the past, this does mean quite a bit. I mean, I loved Tome of Magic and the Binder specifically, so, seeing a thumbs up from Ari moves me a bit closer to the "I might buy this when it comes out" category.

Greg K

Legend
Zamkaizer said:
This statement is significant, not only because they're from an excellent designer experienced in roleplaying games, but also because it's one of the first appraisals of the new system we've heard that's not from the developers themselves.

True. However, I recall a writer/designer of one game writing an excellent review of a new licensed game that he had not developed. I bought the game on that designer's review. The game had great character generation and combat rules, but had horrible mechanics in some other areas. When the game tanked, the writer admitted that the only reason he wrote a favorable review was that he liked the game universe and, therefore, wanted to write for it. Not saying that Ari would do this, but Ari is a game developer/writer, who freelances for WOTC and the DND line- once bitten, twice shy and all that stuff.

WanderingMonster

First Post
jeffh said:
What's not to like about it?

Too mechanical?

I'm glad to hear from someone who's seen the complete ruleset. Still, I think the argument that "Mouseferatu says it's great" won't mean much to my group. I may have to have to wear my +1 d20 cajones of DMing if I want to play 4e. Heck I may put them on just 'cuz.

Greg K said:
True. However, I recall a writer/designer of one game writing an excellent review of a new licensed game that he had not developed. I bought the game on that designer's review. The game had great character generation and combat rules, but had horrible mechanics in some other areas. When the game tanked, the writer admitted that the only reason he wrote a favorable review was that he liked the game universe and, therefore, wanted to write for it. Not saying that Ari would do this, but Ari is a game developer/writer, who freelances for WOTC and the DND line- once bitten, twice shy and all that stuff.

And I'm not asking anyone to buy it on my word alone. I'm not making anyone any guarantees or any promises about what they'll think when they see the game. I like 4E, and I've tried to explain why I like it as much as I can, without violating my NDA. (If I could give more details, I would, believe me.)

I offered an opinion, pure and simple. What people choose to do with it, or whether or not people even choose to acknowledge it, is entirely up to them. :)

Pale

First Post
I knew something like this had to have happened when you dropped off the face of the messageboards, Ari.

I, also, value Ari's opinion highly in these matters as I know that he and I have very similar values when it comes to gaming (from reading his opinions and doing a lot of head-nodding *laugh*).

I would also like to point out that Clark Peterson has previously announced that Ari will be working on Necromancer Games' "Advanced Player's Handbook" (or whatever the final title will be) which will help those of us who may be slightly grognardesque in our gaming approach feel the groove of 4E a little better by filling in the what's been 'left out'. (This will be in tandem with a Tome of Horrors 4E, of course.)

Thanks for spilling out your opinion as soon as you could, Mouse... even if you did just convince me to give money to Hasbro! *shakes fist at the skyline of the corporate machine*

EDIT: Damnable spelling errors

Last edited:

Glyfair

Explorer
Greg K said:
When the game tanked, the writer admitted that the only reason he wrote a favorable review was that he liked the game universe and, therefore, wanted to write for it.
Except he is already working on the game line, so trying to get in wouldn't be a reason to write a favorable review. If he thought it wasn't up to snuff he could just remain quite and rake in the jobs that he seems to have been deluged with recently.

catsclaw227

First Post
This is good to see. If Ari's work is as good as his work with Tome of Magic, or with one of my favorite adventures of all time, Doom of Listenshire (which, BTW, is not listed at pen-paper.net).

<threadjack> I had no idea you were one of the writers for the first Scarred Lands trilogy. That's awesome, my players loved that series.</threadjack>

EDIT: Ari -- How do you think the Scarred Lands would look as a 4e gameworld?

Aus_Snow

First Post
Thanks for communicating your thoughts on 4e, as much as is possible, Mouse.

I like much of your work for 3e, and hey, some nWoD too. In fact, I can't think of anything bad, off hand. :cool:

The sig probably gives away my feelings on the edition-to-be :D - but that doesn't mean I don't have respect and regard for many designers, developers, writers, artists, playtesters (etc.) and (soon enough) regular ol' DMs and players of 4e.

And, as I've said before, on these boards, if anything really leaps out at me from the 4e (and [n]d20) range, I'll consider buying it, so I can kill it and take its stuff for my 3.x/[O]d20 games.

I'll keep an eye out for things you've worked on, FWIW. :)

Greg K

Legend
Glyfair said:
Except he is already working on the game line, so trying to get in wouldn't be a reason to write a favorable review. If he thought it wasn't up to snuff he could just remain quite and rake in the jobs that he seems to have been deluged with recently.

I generally like Ari's work. The only products that I have had problems with were Complete Champion and Complete Mage. And my problem with the latter was not with the ideas, but with mechanics- at least some of which, by Ari's admission, underwent changes after leaving his hands.

Still, there are a lot of factors that can influence a freelancers decision of for whom to work. For instance, the issue of payment. I would imagine that WOTC can afford to pay its writers better rates than other RPG companies as they pretty much dominate the rpg market in sales. Second, by nature of WOTC's place in the market and being owned by Hasbro, there is less worry of payment issues arising due to various snafu's that might hinder a reputable smaller company (e.g., the distributor issue a few years back that hurt several third party companies).

Again, I am not saying that these have any bearing as to whom Ari chooses to work. However, they are still considerations when discussing freelancers and for whom they choose to work.

All that said, I am more likely to give 4e a look now despite not liking most of the mechanical and decisions revealed via the design columns and playtest reports and the "preview" products TOB, Star Wars Saga Edition, and MM V.

Last edited:

Remove ads