• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Movement, falling damage, Dim Door

Brace Cormaeril

First Post
Old Drew Id said:
The spell does not say that you can do this, so I would say no.

According to SRD, I can.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dimension Door
Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level: Brd 4, Sor/Wiz 4, Travel 4
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Target: You and touched objects or other touched willing creatures
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None and Will negates (object)
Spell Resistance: No and Yes (object)

You instantly transfer yourself from your current location to any other spot within range. You always arrive at exactly the spot desired—whether by simply visualizing the area or by stating direction. After using this spell, you can’t take any other actions until your next turn. You can bring along objects as long as their weight doesn’t exceed your maximum load. You may also bring one additional willing Medium or smaller creature (carrying gear or objects up to its maximum load) or its equivalent per three caster levels. A Large creature counts as two Medium creatures, a Huge creature counts as two Large creatures, and so forth. All creatures to be transported must be in contact with one another, and at least one of those creatures must be in contact with you.

If you arrive in a place that is already occupied by a solid body, you and each creature traveling with you take 1d6 points of damage and are shunted to a random open space on a suitable surface within 100 feet of the intended location.

If there is no free space within 100 feet, you and each creature traveling with you take an additional 2d6 points of damage and are shunted to a free space within 1,000 feet. If there is no free space within 1,000 feet, you and each creature travelling with you take an additional 4d6 points of damage and the spell simply fails.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So if a reflex save, catch 'em flat-footed.
If an attack role to target the spell, make it stick.

Brace Cormaeril

First Post
Does this cause damage as the shock of forward movement is instantly halted? (Much like hitting a *very* heavy rock.)

From the 3.5 FAQ

Does an object with momentum maintain that
momentum if teleported?

Nothing in the rules suggests that the rules of physics
wouldn’t continue to apply, so it appears that momentum is
maintained. If you’re plummeting toward the ground when you
cast teleport to reach a safe spot, you’d still be “falling” and
would therefore take damage as appropriate to the distance you
actually fell before teleporting.

Last edited:

KarinsDad

Adventurer
As a tactic, this should be VERY successful.

Dimension Door allows movement to exact locations.

And unlike falling rocks or other attacks, the attacker really should typically be surprised by this.

I would allow the caster to just roll a normal to hit. If he hits, he hits. If he misses, he misses. Nothing special. No Reflex saves, etc. It's not as if arcane casters have a good BAB or anything (yes, this could be done by Clerics, but no big deal).

I also do not consider it an Overrun because the caster is attempting to damage, not to plow past.

The closest thing is that it is an unarmed strike. But, it is an unarmed strike with the caster's entire body.

And the only reason I would allow this is that the caster will be taking a lot of damage as well as the target. I consider that balanced. Otherwise, I would not allow it since casters do not get an action after a Dimension Door.

anon

First Post
Dimension Door and other Teleportation spells ignore the normal physics of location and time, alllowing for instant movement, or translocation taking no time, depending on your view. It is easiest to consider that the spells move you and give you a new momentum of 0 in regards to the surface you arrive at.

All issues (or attempts to create issues) of continuity of momentum are spurious, or at the very least open a nasty bag of worms. For example, if one teleports north or south an significant distance, and assuming an Earthlike planetary rotation scheme, does the DM have to figure out the relative speeds of the planet at the start and end point to determine if the teleporter goes stumbling backwards or forwards due to the speed difference?

The side effect of assuming momentum is "reset" is that these spells become expensive (higher level) and risky (standard action to cast) versions of Feather Fall.

Brace Cormaeril

First Post
anon said:
Dimension Door and other Teleportation spells ignore the normal physics of location and time, alllowing for instant movement, or translocation taking no time, depending on your view. It is easiest to consider that the spells move you and give you a new momentum of 0 in regards to the surface you arrive at.

Please note my post above, from the FAQ.

anon

First Post
As has happened before, and will no doubt again, I respectfully disagree with the FAQ.

For reasons, see my post above.

There is no way we are meant to calculate all kinds of momentum just to use a spell. How does one deal with teleporting from the ground to galloping horses, or to wagons or boats with any appreciable speed? Does the teleporter go flying across the surface, smashing into things along the way, in these cases too?

weiknarf

Explorer
Despite the name, Dim Door does not actually create a door so there is no "other end" that you can align. You would appear where you desired and continue falling (or not, depending on the DM's view of the FAQ).

Brace Cormaeril said:
According to SRD, I can.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dimension Door
Conjuration (Teleportation)
Level: Brd 4, Sor/Wiz 4, Travel 4
Components: V
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
Target: You and touched objects or other touched willing creatures
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None and Will negates (object)
Spell Resistance: No and Yes (object)

You instantly transfer yourself from your current location to any other spot within range. You always arrive at exactly the spot desired—whether by simply visualizing the area or by stating direction. After using this spell, you can’t take any other actions until your next turn. You can bring along objects as long as their weight doesn’t exceed your maximum load. You may also bring one additional willing Medium or smaller creature (carrying gear or objects up to its maximum load) or its equivalent per three caster levels. A Large creature counts as two Medium creatures, a Huge creature counts as two Large creatures, and so forth. All creatures to be transported must be in contact with one another, and at least one of those creatures must be in contact with you.

If you arrive in a place that is already occupied by a solid body, you and each creature traveling with you take 1d6 points of damage and are shunted to a random open space on a suitable surface within 100 feet of the intended location.

If there is no free space within 100 feet, you and each creature traveling with you take an additional 2d6 points of damage and are shunted to a free space within 1,000 feet. If there is no free space within 1,000 feet, you and each creature travelling with you take an additional 4d6 points of damage and the spell simply fails.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So if a reflex save, catch 'em flat-footed.
If an attack role to target the spell, make it stick.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
FAQ ruling creates headaches and involves mathematics that may involve a slide rule and computing rotational velocities of non-Earth terrestrial bodies in an RPG.

House Rule ruling creates simplicity and internal consistency.

Hurtling out the other end of a dimension door at terminal velocity is found on the shelf next to other "really cool and nifty" PC actions ... a little left of "I invent gunpowder" and to the right of "My character floods the planet by buying all of the Decanters of Endless Water and turning them on full and dumping them in the ocean".

--fje

Brace Cormaeril

First Post
anon said:

All issues (or attempts to create issues) of continuity of momentum are spurious, or at the very least open a nasty bag of worms. For example, if one teleports north or south an significant distance, and assuming an Earthlike planetary rotation scheme, does the DM have to figure out the relative speeds of the planet at the start and end point to determine if the teleporter goes stumbling backwards or forwards due to the speed difference?

Since the duration of the spell is Instantaneous, the earth has not moved, nor has the any time passed. If you want to create your own "cans of worms", go for it, it's your campaign.
LOL, it is only if you do not maintain a "continuity" of momentum, as you put it, that a can of worms manifests. If inertia is reset, and the caster uses telepotation, he at inertia "0"(?) would then go flying; however, by maintaining the inertia and speed he had, when he teleports elsewhere he is noy thrown by the planet, but continues to move at this relative speed.

Well, I've heard enough. Dimension Door power Bomb is in; although after a round of falling my pschic warrior is going to take ALOT of damage.

Last edited:

Remove ads