• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Movie Sequels

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I will go to my grave saying that Airplane II: the Sequel is better than Airplane: the Motion Picture. A lot of the jokes people associate with AP1 are actually from AP2.

No. If you were to say that Airplane II was a great followup, I would completely agree. But the original Airplane was the better (and funnier) film. As much as I love William Shatner.

I assume that the intended topic was, "Sequels that weren't complete rubbish, and/or were arguably better than the originals."

So I will list all the ones I can think of, including one that have already been listed:

Godfather, Part II. Better? No. But really good. The two combined are arguably the best one-two punch in moviedom. There was no third movie.
Empire Strikes Back.
Wrath of Khan.
The Dark Knight.
Indubitably.
Mad Max series. The first one was fine, but the series got better. I would even say that Fury Road is one of the finest action movies ever.
Winter Soldier. The first Cap Movie was good. This was one of the best MCU ever.
Thor: Ragnarok. By taking Thor in a completely different direction, made the character so much more compelling.
Christmas Vacation. A controversial choice. The first movie is the better movie, but the second movie is a holiday classic.
Pink Panther series. Most people forget that the original PP movie didn't really coalesce into what we think of in terms of the series until the second one (A Shot in the Dark).
Goldfinger. Dr. No might be iconic, but Goldfinger was better. Yeah, it was the third movie. But it was the one that truly established Bond.
Evil Dead series. Evil Dead 2 and AoD are just stone-cold classics, surpassing the original.

Not included-
T2. Great movie. The original was better.
Bladerunner 2049. Loved this movie so much. But the original was a stone-cold classic, establishing many of the tropes of the dystopian science fiction on the screen that we know today.
Top Gun Maverick. The original had a better volleyball scene.

Last edited:

R_J_K75

Legend
No. If you were to say that Airplane II was a great followup, I would completely agree. But the original Airplane was the better (and funnier) film. As much as I love William Shatner.
IMO Yes. Most people do not know this but Airplane: The Motion Picture was actually a remake of a movie called Zero Hour, almost line for line except where the comedy is added by the Zucker Brothers.

Snarf Zagyg

IMO Yes. Most people do not know this but Airplane: The Motion Picture was actually a remake of a movie called Zero Hour, almost line for line except where the comedy is added by the Zucker Brothers.

I know. That's part of the brilliance.

Airplane II is a good movie, and good sequel, with decent laughs. But the original movie is a stone-cold classic that works on a lot of levels.

There is a reason that AFI has it listed as #10 in their top 100 comedies of the the 20th century.

R_J_K75

Legend
Airplane II is a good movie, and good sequel, with decent laughs. But the original movie is a stone-cold classic that works on a lot of levels.

There is a reason that AFI has it listed as #10 in their top 100 comedies of the the 20th century.
Obviously, this is a very subjective topic and there is no right or wrong answer. Personally, I dont put much stock in movie/music critics or Top "X" lists. For me I think Airplane 2 was better because while using the same formula it succeeded in not being too repetitive or recycled the exact same jokes, of course though there is a very strong similarity.

Snarf Zagyg

Obviously, this is a very subjective topic and there is no right or wrong answer. Personally, I dont put much stock in movie/music critics or Top "X" lists. For me I think Airplane 2 was better because while using the same formula it succeeded in not being too repetitive or recycled the exact same jokes, of course though there is a very strong similarity.

Oh, mos def.

Taste is subjective- arguably moreseo when it comes to comedy! I've often said that I really loved The Lobster, which is a "dark comedy," but I completely understand that other people might not enjoy it (or find it funny).

That said, I do think that your love of Airplane II, while totally valid, is likely a minority opinion. :)

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Taste is subjective- arguably moreseo when it comes to comedy! I've often said that I really loved The Lobster, which is a "dark comedy," but I completely understand that other people might not enjoy it (or find it funny).
I've said the same thing about In Bruges.

Snarf Zagyg

Just to clarify, you think the third movie is better than The Dark Knight, movie number two? I ask as the titles are easy to mix up.

Good catch! No, I was thinking of the second movie, in contrast to Batman Begins. I actually do enjoy the third movie, but the second is ... well, the second is the second. I'll go back and edit.

Remove ads