• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Movies that I just don't get

Maraxle

First Post
KnowTheToe said:
Office Space
I take it that you don't work in the corporate environment then. Everyone I know who does can see themselves/their coworkers/their boss in that movie. That whole movie reminds me of my life.

As for movies that I just don't see the appeal of, I'd have to say most Stanley Kubrick films. I like Spartacus and The Shining, but other than that, I just can't get into his films. Clockwork Orange in particular puts me to sleep.

Cthulhu's Librarian said:
I have tried Princess Mononoke. Twice. Yes, its a good story, but the animation is distracting. I don't like the look of anime, but I do like lots of other animated films. I have a hard time getting past the angular, stiff, and (IMHO) simplistic artwork. When I watch it, all I see is bad art getting in the way of a decent story that diserved better.
I didn't really like Mononoke, and I do like anime. The thing is, just like in ALL animation, different shows have different artists and you can't use one to judge them all. Its just we have such a limited exposure here in America still...ah well, I can understand not liking it though. :)
As for what I don't get...another vote for DBZ here.

Joshua Dyal said:
Anime. I keep trying to like it, and I simply can't find one that is better than "OK" at most.
Did you try Grave of the Fireflies? I could lend it to you. It's depressing as hell, but not your typical anime.

Pielorinho said:
As for a movie I don't get: Dogma left me cold (and not because of the blasphemy -- I'm about as irreverent a godless heathen as you're likely to find).
Daniel
The people I know who like Dogma are either (1) Catholics, (2) former Catholics, or (3) married to Catholics. Maybe it's just a Catholic thing. And....I'll shut up now to avoid a religious discussion. ;)

Jhamin

First Post
Mine is Tarentino Films.

Why is this man worshipped so? Lots of violence and gore. Much more foreward about it than most, which is a distinguishing feature I guess. But people worship these films.

I just never got it.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I love Tarentino becuase of scense like the diner scene that opens up Resevior Dogs, instead of characters speaking like they have speech writers and teams of people telling them how to speak poetically they talk like and about the kind of BS that most people waste time chatting about. I like him becuase of his great dialog and sence of character.

I can't get Jackass or any reality TV. I can't fathom the attraction.

takyris

First Post
Ditto liking Tarantino's dialogue, and being unwowed when he moved from dialogue to "nothing but the violence".

I liked Mononoke, and I liked Spirited Away as well. Definitely not against all anime, although there's a certain brand of it that rubs me the wrong way. (The very passive power fantasy in which a normal guy has some magical creature fall in love with him, only he never realizes it, and she can't tell him and it's sad, and it goes on for episode after episode that way. I can completely understand why ordinary-looking geeks like movies where some kind of sorceress, goddess, angel, demon, or whatever falls in love witht he ordinary-looking geek, while he never realizes it, but it still makes me cringe just a little bit and worry about their hopes for having any kind of normal relationship. I'm including some of my friends in that category. No offense is intended.)

Actually, I don't get Woody Allen movies. I've tried, but they just don't do it for me. It's like the entire concept uses agreed-upon rules that I've never actually witnessed. I think I'm in the wrong age, religious group, and geographical area to get Woody Allen movies. Woody Allen movies are the cinematic equivalent of the Dave Matthews Band: I know that I should like them, but, except for a few parts of a few pieces, they just don't do it for me.

And to validate a hypothesis mentioned above: I'm an irritated Catholic (church done my non-Catholic wife wrong, and I chose her over it), and I loved "Dogma". So did my strongly Catholic mother, although she was surprised by some of the language.

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
A few of mine.

Anime. Mostly the Salior Moon and DBZ stuff. I don't get how grown men could like those. I like Ghost in the Shell, Record of Lodoss War and Princess Mononoke.

Romantic Comadies- Why are these freakin things popular. They are all the same.

Monty Python Movies- There supposed to be funny, gamers love them, I play along.

Mog Elffoe

Explorer
Reality TV, especially Survivor. I watched a whole season of it because my roommate was hooked on the show but I really don't get it at all. That said, I did catch the episode where the guy had his buddy come on the show and tell everybody that his grandmother was dead when she was really alive and well in order to get the sympathy of the group. THAT, I thought was pretty funny.

Princess Monanoke will likely be my last attempt to "get" anime, although I've had a hard time getting excited to try. Previously, I'd consider the "best" anime I've seen so far to be either the Final Fantasy CGI movie or Ghost in the Shell. Ranma 1/2 is also watchable, but not excellent by any means.

Really, it's the stylistic thrust of anime that puts me off. The whole staring out at the sunset cheesy wannabe existentialism too. :)

Remove ads