• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Moving towards no minis in 4e combat

Skywalker

Adventurer
So, how are you finding it? Have you abandoned minis for your 4e games? Did you never use them? Or do you still find them essential (or you just prefer using them?)

I use Fiery Dragon counter PDFs. I simply collate the session's minis (much easier with the searchable names) onto a page, print it on to a label sticker, stick this onto foam board and cut as needed.

It helps with storage and speeds up prep time. Plus I can usually get a more accurate counter than I can get a more accurate mini.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I use Fiery Dragon counter PDFs. I simply collate the session's minis (much easier with the searchable names) onto a page, print it on to a label sticker, stick this onto foam board and cut as needed.

It helps with storage and speeds up prep time. Plus I can usually get a more accurate counter than I can get a more accurate mini.

You're still using "minis".

Sanzuo

First Post
I fully endorse 4e without minis. To me such a thing makes combat much more cinematic and visceral. I believe specific effects such as forced movement, teleporting, etc can be abstracted but still used for their intended purpose of gaining tactical advantage. Not that there is anything WRONG with using the minis, it's just something I'd like to try for a while. Unfortunately I'm also in the situation of most of my players being OCD about their tactical positioning on the field and several have told me that they are simply unable to imagine the combat happening in their heads.

renau1g

First Post
I use small squares of cardboard that a friend of mine (player as well) cut up into 1' squares and we use a standard battlemap. I draw the terrain in with a dry erase and we go that route. I actually find the minis can be distracting (someone wants to see the cool new monster we're facing) as well, some of them take up more than their 1' square (see the genasi swashbuckler one, it's weapon extends easily 1/2 way into the next square).

BlightCrawler

First Post
Why? Well, I just haven't had the time to properly search through the 2,000 odd minis I have for those perfect ones... and being completely overbusy in the last few weeks, I've also not had enough time to fine the imperfect ones. So, we've been having a few combats without minis at all.

I started running into the busy problem, although not with minis exactly. I make my own tokens, so I was running into time issues putting together the images and printing out the token art, and then cutting it out and putting them on the tokens. Phew!

So, when I need to be lazy, I do one of two things:
Reuse old tokens. Who cares if they don't fit? Use your imagination!

Have my players cut out the art! Luckily they volunteer. I wouldn't ask them to do it. But they like the art, so all I need to do is print it up.

But I'm definitely interested in ways to do combat without the battle map. Usually I'm worried about speed, but that's not a problem with 4E. So I'm mainly just worried about how to make movement powers still fun and useful (luckily my group doesn't have a controller, so it's somewhat easier).

gribble

Explorer
While (as written) it doesn't eliminate miniatures/tokens entirely, the WFRP 3e rules seem to be a move in this direction. I could easily imagine running a game without minis at all.

It seems fairly adaptable to 4e D&D at first blush:
  • Any power/attack with a range of 1 square (close burst 1, melee 1, melee with a reach 1 weapon, etc) requires you to be engaged.
  • Any other close burst/blast, melee attack or ranged attack with a range of 5 or less requires you to be close.
  • Any ranged/area attack with a range of 10 or less squares requires you to be medium or closer, a range of 20 or less requires you to be long or closer and more than 20 squares is extreme.
  • Any character using a ranged/area power while engaged provokes OAs.
  • A shift allows you to move from engaged to close without provoking as a move action.
  • A move allows you to move from engaged to close or medium or one increment as a move action.
  • A run allows you to move two increments as a move action.
  • etc...

mearls

Hero
Teleporting is what gets me. Push, Pull, various powers I can link up better... but how do I make Fey Step work so it's useful and fun while still not using a grid?

Part of this falls on to the player, part on the DM. The DM can place interesting places to 'port to in an area, but the player has to try and use them.

For instance, you might teleport to the top of a bookcase, teleport under a table to hide, stuff like that. If you're not using miniatures, I think it helps to think a little more cinematically. The bad guys rush into the room, engage the fighter and paladin, and then the warlock teleports behind them. They can't turn around and attack him without taking opportunity attacks.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads