• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Moving towards no minis in 4e combat

Dausuul

Legend
I enjoy collecting, painting and playing with miniatures regardless of the rules in play.

Funny thing: I love building up a huge collection of minis suitable for every conceivable D&D scenario. I love organizing them and marking the bases with numbers so I can keep track of which is which in combat. I love buying metal minis and modding and priming and painting and varnishing them. I've put into this project... well, more money than is probably really healthy at my salary, over the past couple of years.

And yet I'm ambivalent about actually playing with the dang things. Not because of any collectorly reluctance to expose my precious thirty-nine-cent DDM commons to the rigors of being pushed around a battlemat, but because I kinda like non-battlemat play better.

How weird is that?

Last edited:

Funny thing... I love building up a huge collection of minis suitable for every conceivable D&D scenario. I love organizing them and marking the bases with numbers so I can keep track of which is which in combat. I love buying metal minis and modding and priming and painting and varnishing them.

And yet I'm ambivalent about actually playing with the dang things. Not because of any collectorly reluctance to expose my precious thirty-nine-cent DDM commons to the rigors of being pushed around a battlemat, but because I kinda like non-battlemat play better.

How weird is that?

Not too weird at all. I enjoy customizing and painting minis to represent characters and monsters more than using them as chess pieces. I do love using them in games though.

I like having a visual of the action but the tactical specifics of the grid are not important to me.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads