• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MP ranger ?

sammy

First Post
My ranger player had 2 questions,

1- Sudden Surge has an effect line. When does that happen? He wanted to do it BEFORE the attack.

2- His beast has 2 healing surges. Does the beasts CON give more? I didn't think so.

Thanks for all replies.

Sammy

Mort_Q

First Post
Effects are the result of the use of the power, so it doesn't not take place before the attack is made. That said, I don't have my books with me so...

Effects are the result of the use of the power, so it doesn't not take place before the attack is made. That said, I don't have my books with me so...

It depends on how it is placed. Some powers have an effect first and an attack second. (I think Icy Grasp works like this.)
Without the MP, I can't say which is true here.

James McMurray

First Post
My ranger player had 2 questions,

1- Sudden Surge has an effect line. When does that happen? He wanted to do it BEFORE the attack.

There is no Sudden Surge in MP. If you meant the 7th level fighter power in the PHB, the effect line is after the attack, so it happen after you resolve the hit.

2- His beast has 2 healing surges. Does the beasts CON give more? I didn't think so.

It just gets 2.

nimisgod

LEW Judge
Beast Companions only have 2 Surges, but you can sacrifice your healing surges for them as a standard action (I think).

DracoSuave

First Post
There's a feat that gives your beast another surge.

Also- If the Effect is before the Attack line, the effect is before the attack. if the Effect is -after- the Attack/Hit lines, it's after.

Jhaelen

First Post
Also- If the Effect is before the Attack line, the effect is before the attack. if the Effect is -after- the Attack/Hit lines, it's after.
There's been a lengthy discussion about this before. My conclusion:

It doesn't matter if the effect line is placed before the attack line or not. The placement is really irrelevant. If an effect includes something that happens before the attack its description will say so.

Often, the effect line will be placed before the attack line to make it easier to notice that there is some effect preceding the attack, but it's not actually a requirement.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads