• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E MPMB's D&D 5e Character Tools

JValeur

Explorer
The reason for my suggestion is that one of my players insists that an attack includes "attacks" that resolve by making a saving throw instead of an attack roll. For example, he insists that Sacred Flame is an attack and therefore be subject to Uncanny Dodge. The PH is not clear on Uncanny Dodge of what consists an attack. One of my rants is WotC should have made it clearer without having to go to an out of the way one paragraph text in some other part of the book.

This is my version (although it is a little clumsy): As a reaction, I halve the damage as a result of an attack roll from an attacker that I can see

I'd call that a problem with your player's understanding of the word attack, not MPMB's sheet, or the wording in the PH. They're pretty clear on what an attack is - an action that hinges on an attack roll made versus a target's AC. I don't see any reason why the wording in the book should be changed.

Astromath

First Post
I agree with you. It is a misunderstanding on his part. However, there other people out there that I'm sure that shares his opinion.

Here's another problematic item (this has nothing to do with MPMB's sheet). The attack action describes physical attacks. Casting a spell action is separate from the attack action. Using those two actions, you could interpret that Fire Bolt comes under the casting a spell action. However, it requires an attack roll. So, which is it? By reading further you find the answer: "if you're making an attack roll, you're making an attack." It would have been better if WotC had put in wording in the Attack Action section that it includes spells that have attack rolls.

This is how I would have it written:
The most common action to take in combat is the Attack action, whether you are swinging a sword, firing an arrow from a bow, brawling with your fists, or casting a Fire Bolt cantrip.

This wording makes it clear that there are some spells that come under Attack action and not Cast a Spell action.

I don't have a problem with MPMB's rewording of Uncanny Dodge. It is simple and straight forward. However, there are those who use MPMB's sheet as a rules source instead of the PH (or other sources, for that matter). Maybe MPMB should put in a disclaimer that his sheet is NOT a rules source and should not be used as such either in his intro popup or in the FAQs (or even both).

I say whenever you are in doubt, go to the original sourcebook.

wilcoxon

Explorer
However, there are those who use MPMB's sheet as a rules source instead of the PH (or other sources, for that matter). Maybe MPMB should put in a disclaimer that his sheet is NOT a rules source and should not be used as such either in his intro popup or in the FAQs (or even both).

I don't think MPMB needs to change anything nor to add a disclaimer. His sheet is a third-party character sheet - of course it's not an official rules source. If I was GMing and a player insisted on using MPMB's sheet as a rules source, I would politely explain to them that it is a very handy character sheet and it does include some brief paraphrasing of rules but is in no way a rules source (only PHB is that). If they continued insisting it was, I would boot them from the game.

SansMoins

Explorer
I don't think MPMB needs to change anything nor to add a disclaimer. His sheet is a third-party character sheet - of course it's not an official rules source. If I was GMing and a player insisted on using MPMB's sheet as a rules source, I would politely explain to them that it is a very handy character sheet and it does include some brief paraphrasing of rules but is in no way a rules source (only PHB is that). If they continued insisting it was, I would boot them from the game.

I just had a player argue about the calculations of carried items and how much they could carry. 5 min later, I had a overpowering group of bandits mug them.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

I’m requesting your help to speed up the Mystic!

Some news on the progress of the addition of the Mystic class to MPMB’s Character Record Sheet.
[h1]Finished so far:[/h1] - Transcribing the Mystic class;
- Transcribing the Avatar Mystic Order;
- Coding the sheet to be compatible with the Mystic’s Psionics (click here for a preview);
- Transcribing 2 Psionic Disciplines and 3 Psionic Talents.
[h1]How can you help?[/h1]By transcribing some of the Mystic’s Psionic Disciplines and/or Psionic Talents!
[h3]1. Write the script[/h3]The addition of the Psionic Disciplines/Talents works almost identical to adding spells, both use the same JavaScript Syntax.

The JavaScript Syntax can be found here.

The 2 Psionic Disciplines and 3 Psionic Talents can be found here (and will be updated with any new additions).

Remember, the ‘description’ is a short description that has to fit into the spell sheet of the Colourful character sheet!
You can use the agreed upon abbreviations that you can find in the Spell Sheet glossary.
In addition, use “PP” for ‘Psi Points’ and “Psi-F.” for ‘Psychic Focus’.
[h3]2. Send me the script[/h3]Once you have transcribed something, please send the code to me (see the bookmarks in the sheet for how to contact me). You can do this in several ways:

- Send a link: put the code as a Gist on GitHub, on your Dropbox/Google Drive/OneDrive, or somewhere else online, and send me the link to this as a comment or via email, or wherever.

- Use this ENworld forum thread: Attach the code, post a link to it, or write it in a message, using [­CODE][­/CODE] tags.

- Email me the code as a .txt file (sending .js files, even inside an archive, gets the email automatically removed by Gmail and I’ll never see it). You can email me at Flapkan[at]gmail[dot]com

[h1]Some background[/h1]At 28 pages, the Unearthed Arcana: The Mystic Class is a lot more than your average UA article. Besides the fact that it has some completely new mechanics, it also has a very extensive lists of psionic powers.

I have finished the first, more complicated part: making the sheet work with Psionics. My first priority was to get the sheet working with these new mechanics for Psionics, without needing to change too much. After a lot of input from you, the supporters/fans of my work, I landed on a decision which wasn’t even features in the poll, but suggested by Karsten.

The psionic powers will be added to the spell sheet pages, just like spells. However, to make this work, every option of every discipline will have its own line as if it is its own ‘spell’. The sheet will automatically add all these sub-powers when selecting a discipline. This required some fiddling with the code, but that is now finished and working properly.

However, at around 200 of these kind of ‘spells’ to do, there is a lot of work to do before the Mystic class is ready to be published. For this, I can use any help that I can get.

I love the character sheet, is there any chance you might get it on to roll20 as well?
There is no chance that I can port this to Roll20. The interface and back-end of Roll20 ar completely different than what this sheet uses in Adobe Acrobat. Getting it to Roll20 would be the same as creating a Roll20 sheet from scratch, and I have no intention of doing that.

TheBob427

Explorer
That's a bummer, I play almost all my games over roll20 and I have yet to find a character sheet that has the level of automation of yours.

At any rate, keep up the good work, and best of luck with the Mystic.

That's a bummer, I play almost all my games over roll20 and I have yet to find a character sheet that has the level of automation of yours.

At any rate, keep up the good work, and best of luck with the Mystic.
I have been looking into making an export function that could package the stuff from my sheet into an xml object that could be imported into Roll20. Unfortunately, to make something like that I would need a paid subscription to Roll20 and it would only be useful for people that have a paid subscription. So far, that has kept me from exploring it further.

Canadianrugby

First Post
Sorry if this has been asked before.

When I print, the lines (inside any boxes, notes, actions, etc) don't print. Neither does the grey background at the top of any page. Anyone else have this issue and is there a fix?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads