D&D 5E MPMB's D&D 5e Character Tools

Just wanted to voice my thanks for your work on this, I downloaded it the other day to load in the character I recently started playing, and it's AWESOME! My guy is a Fighter/Rogue multiclass, and your sheet handled everything wonderfully. I definitely intend to be using this for all my character's going forward.

Like Headbomb, the ammo section isn't all that useful for me, but mostly because I'll be using a printed copy when I actually go to my game sessions. I don't bring my laptop, so I won't be "reloading" my quivers digitally. But having all my various race & class abilities automatically added to the sheet where I can refer to them quickly is wonderful, not to mention auto-recalculating all my skill & attack modifiers as I level up!

Just a quick question, and please forgive me if it's been asked before. When you release a new version of this sheet, is there a way to import a character we've created with a previous version of the sheet into the most recent version? If not, it's no big deal, I doubt it'd take me long to copy things over anyway. Thanks again for this amazing piece of work!
It is always great to hear such a positive responds! Happy that I could help make your game more enjoyable/easy.

As for the ammo section, see the newly updated version (see the changelog below) :)

This has been answered above already, but just for clarification: Importing is supported by Acrobat Reader, but exporting is not. To export you need a program like Acrobat Pro, PDF Pro 10, or Foxit Reader. This is why the "Export" button doesn't show up in Acrobat Reader, because it wouldn't do you any good.
As Astromath and Ohilion have pointed out, don't use any other program than Adobe Acrobat Reader/Pro for editing your character. Exporting is the only thing where Foxit Reader is recommended above Acrobat.

Quick question for you MPMB: Do you find Adobe Acrobat Pro DC to work well as an exporter?
Acrobat Pro and Foxit Reader both export the exact same thing, all the information in the sheet. So they both work equally well as an exporter. Might you be referring to the fact that not all things are imported correctly? Because this is absolutely true. The problem is that Adobe imports one field at a time in a random order. This causes all kind of other functions of the fields to fire without any of the supporting field-information being available. This can sometimes result in some strange things. That is why the pop-up message says you should be wary of any imported things and check them all. I personally don’t recommend importing anything, just always start with a fresh sheet and type the things you need. I can fully understand that for some complicated character set-ups this is not always an option though ;)

No worries, my panties are still pristine and sealed in their package. Just expanding on my idea a bit to highlight what I think is good about it, and mention the reload quiver idea.
You will be happy to read that the next version incorporates your ideas. Your second mockup with the code and 'quiver' behaviour was a great help when writing the code! It was all a lot more work than I had originally imagined, but I think I have it working as desired now. There are 'only' two places for ammo now, but I think there won't be that many characters that use more than two types of ammo in great quantaties.

Character Sheet/Generator v8.4 (24-9-2015) has the following changelog:
- Redesign of the ammunition fields and functionality: (as suggested by Headbomb)
--> Drop-down list of ‘ammo’ types
--> Auto-fill of weight of ammo (visible with ‘Modifiers’ button)
--> Automatically show correct icons and fields to cross used ones off
--> Automatically ticks of used ammo if “Total” fields has less than amount of icons
--> Automatically update “Total” field after (un)checking of ammo
--> Checking off ammo will always update to have the unused ones at the left and the used ones at the right
--> Added a ‘Reload’ button in the ammo section to update the icons (i.e. refill the quiver)
- Weight button now only lets you choose whether to count ammo left/right or not, all other things are handled in the ammunition section
- The “Add Equipment” button now looks for the weight of armor/shield/weapons in the bluetext fields
- “Add ammunition (from page 1)” and “Update ammunition” added to the “Add Equipment” button
- “All four of the above” and “All three of the above” added to the “Add Equipment” button
- Weapons with ammunition (bows, crossbows, sling) now automatically add the appropriate ammo to the ammunition section as long as there is room for that
- Some graphical changes to the first page to make the ammunition section fit as well as to remedy some inconsistencies

Nod_Hero

Explorer
I apologize if this has been mentioned already, but 45 pages of comments...
Can the Chill Touch cantrip description get a mention about the undead targets having disadvantage. In the heat of battle when I'm just checking the spellsheet I sometimes forget about that, it'd be nice to have the reminder there plain to see.

Ohillion

First Post
MPMB, can you place an 'active' button next to the Limited Features rows so that, for instance, a barbarian that is raging can see his damage reduction and additional attack damages calculated when it is checked. If it's not checked, it doesn't show. The damage reduction, as well, could show up in its own segment in the health section (the wounds area is quite large and needn't be, IMHO) and the extra damage bonus can reflect in each of the weapon slots in the attacks section of the sheet (for example Maul would show 2D6+5 (instead of +3 for a barbarian with STR 17). No need to show it as additional damage, just roll it right into the total damage bonus to the roll. In addition, saving throw Advantages/Disadvantage during rage could be hidden if the 'Active' button isn't checked off. I'm sure you see where I'm going with all this.

None of this would have to show until the 'Active' button is checked. I'm sure a number of classes have limited features that affect different sections of the character sheet and those could be added as well. It would be a nice addition. I'd offer to code it but I'm completely clueless in that area.

Last edited:

Headbomb

First Post
As I said, use Foxit ONLY to export and nothing else. Otherwise, it can't handle the sheet. I have exported with no problem. The problem comes in when you try to do something with the sheet other than exporting.
Foxit also lets you select .jpg images for your character image and symbols and stuff. Adobe Reader only seems to allow for .pdf images.

Headbomb

First Post
You will be happy to read that the next version incorporates your ideas. Your second mockup with the code and 'quiver' behaviour was a great help when writing the code! It was all a lot more work than I had originally imagined, but I think I have it working as desired now. There are 'only' two places for ammo now, but I think there won't be that many characters that use more than two types of ammo in great quantaties.

EXYgBAC.png

Last edited:

Headbomb

First Post
Suggestion for ammos. Have a 'custom' field, possibly with a custom icon, but if that's a hassle, the circles should be fine since they are the most versatile. This way you can accommodate shootable/throwable homebrew items. Like "rocks", "ninja star", "bees hives", "life savings", etc...

Although I suppose this is already supported in the sense that you can select "Handaxe" and then overwrite the name to "Tomahawk", or select "Dagger" and overwrite the name to "Throwing Knife".

Maybe a 'vial/flask' icon for the more alchemy oriented people? Or the fearsome perfume throwers among us :p.

Edit1: Not quite sure what are the profanity rules here, but I'm Gq#$@@353849%%#24 @%#@%#$%@ gleeful about the new ammo section. Like probably way more than is healthy. Just though I'd mention it.

Our crossbowman will be so happy.

Edit2: Maybe mention the weight stuff and ammo stuff in the initial popup section? Advertising new features people that don't bother reading the changelog / giving a tutorial to confused.

Last edited:

Astromath

First Post
Foxit also lets you select .jpg images for your character image and symbols and stuff. Adobe Reader only seems to allow for .pdf images.

Didn't know about that function since I only use Foxit to export. But once the .jpg is attached using Foxit, does Adobe Reader keep the image when importing? I haven't tried it yet to see.

Remove ads