Ms Marvel trailer

Hey all,

Just discovered that Ms Marvel has a trailer now. Looks pretty good.

Yep, it was announced Tuesday morning with a trailer and a poster and the official start date of June 8th. That also means for the first time we will have a Star Wars series, Obi-Wan with a start date of May 25, and a Marvel series going at the same time on Disney+. That will be two new episodes on Wednesdays during most of June.

So that means you don't like any of the Spider-Man films either? Set in high school, after all. Or is it because they actually chose an actress who is close to her character's age, rather then being 8-12 years older than the character?
This seems much more High School-centric than the Spiderman movies I've seen (which, admittedly, I think is less than half of them these days). Spiderman certainly doesn't spend a lot of screen time navigating High School in the Sam Raimi movies. I don't remember any of the other movies well enough to opine.

To be clear, having it be more about the impact of superpowers on life in High School than about the actual superheroic adventures is the most compelling part for me. I won't say I'm tired of all superheroic action, but I think I've seen every variation of CG characters fighting with CG powers I need to see, while there's probably still some variations on the life drama of being a person with superpowers that haven't been done to death for me yet.

That said there's media about High School students and there's media for High School students, and I have a much higher tolerance for the former than the latter.

pukunui

Legend
Yep, it was announced Tuesday morning with a trailer and a poster and the official start date of June 8th. That also means for the first time we will have a Star Wars series, Obi-Wan with a start date of May 25, and a Marvel series going at the same time on Disney+. That will be two new episodes on Wednesdays during most of June.
Interesting. So much for the original plan of "one show after another with no gaps or overlaps". Also interesting that they'll both be coming out on the same day. (Not that I'm complaining, mind you.)

I'll watch it because I am an uber-comic geek and happily give it a chance to surprise me, but this is the first MCU outing that I have no real interest in. Nothing against the show but it just looks like it's targeting an audience younger than a 53-year-old dude.
Speaking as another 53 year old dude, I feel like that about Moon Knight. I'm too old to have met the character in comics or cartoons and so have no affection for it. Ms. Marvel is also a new character to me, but at least its not trying to be dark and edgy, which is so 90s.

Staffan

Legend
Hmm. Dunno what I think about the change to her powers. Guess it works better on a TV screen than stretching and shapeshifting, though.
They seem to be giving her Quasar's armbands instead of making her an inhuman. And that's something I can respect, because the Inhumans TV series was dreadful, and now Marvel has the movie rights to X-Men back and no longer need to try to make Inhumans happen. And I say that as someone who is generally easy to please with superhero stuff.

Plus, as was pointed out, while Kamala Khan is a great character, she's not exactly in the same power league as Carol Danvers or Monica Rambeau, so if they're going to be in the same movie she could use a power-up.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases