Ms Marvel trailer

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
I'll watch it because I am an uber-comic geek and happily give it a chance to surprise me, but this is the first MCU outing that I have no real interest in. Nothing against the show but it just looks like it's targeting an audience younger than a 53-year-old dude.
Yeah. It's really annoying when Marvel tries to engage audiences that aren't always placed front and center in every single other movie.

A girl superhero? Ugh...

And she's a POC? Like I would ever care about that.

And she's Muslim too?!

Great... they're probably going to shove the whole "Muslim people are people and shouldn't all be thought of as terrorists building bombs in caves" thing down our throats.

HARD PASS!!

As a 47 year-old dude, I only want to see heroes that are amiable middle-aged dudes like me. Superman, Batman, Iron Man, Bruce Banner. I'll even give Spidey a chance because they're all played by guys in their 30s.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Yeah. It's really annoying when Marvel tries to engage audiences that aren't always placed front and center in every single other movie.

A girl superhero? Ugh...

And she's a POC? Like I would ever care about that.

And she's Muslim too?!

Great... they're probably going to shove the whole "Muslim people are people and shouldn't all be thought of as terrorists building bombs in caves" thing down our throats.

HARD PASS!!

As a 47 year-old dude, I only want to see heroes that are amiable middle-aged dudes like me. Superman, Batman, Iron Man, Bruce Banner. I'll even give Spidey a chance because they're all played by guys in their 30s.
OK, this aggressive sarcasm--and the accusations of misogyny and racism--are not warranted or fair. The guy just said he wasn't interested in a film, that's all. Cool it, please.

Mallus

Legend
This looks great. The trailer has a candy-colored slightly Edgar Wright directing Scott Pilgrim kinda vibe. Plus, it's set in my semi-beloved homeland, North Jersey.

Question: her powers are obviously different from the comic & the word 'cosmic' cropped up. Is this version of Ms. Marvel channeling the Power Cosmic, ie are they setting up Galactus?

Staffan

Legend
This looks great. The trailer has a candy-colored slightly Edgar Wright directing Scott Pilgrim kinda vibe. Plus, it's set in my semi-beloved homeland, North Jersey.

Question: her powers are obviously different from the comic & the word 'cosmic' cropped up. Is this version of Ms. Marvel channeling the Power Cosmic, ie are they setting up Galactus?
The power being connected to armbands, the cosmic stuff, and the fact that it seems to express itself as creating energy constructs points toward them mixing the person Kamala Khan with the Quantum Bands used by Quasar.

(At least based on a few seconds of trailer footage, which of course can be me jumping to conclusions.)

That's what I figured as well. Though really, there are so many stretchy supers out there. Marvel comics alone has at least a dozen. But Mr. Fantastic is probably their signature stretcher, so I get tweaking her powers for television, since that's a much smaller field of superheroes than the comics.

Likely, some avoiding stepping on the inevitable Mr Richards arrival by mirroring his abilities as well.

I'm pretty excited about her coming TV show. The comics are great, and I enjoyed her parts in The Avengers videogame. The importance of representation with her character matters a whole lot, too.

darkwillow

Explorer
Religion/politics
At least you provide a great example of everything wrong with politicizing tv/movies today. Just because you didn't like a movie or tv show, doesn't automatically mean you are racist.

I have little interest in watching the show, its not for my demographic, but am pleased and proud that marvel is making content for Everyone, especially with Disneys history in Florida.

But damn your kind of comments and attitude really make us liberal swing voters consider voting republican just to teach you a lesson of humility.

MarkB

Legend
I'm wondering to what extent the character being always lost in daydreams may tie into her powers. Like, will she have shades of Green Lantern style "your powers are as strong as you imagine them to be" abilities, or will they be a fixed power set?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
At least you provide a great example of everything wrong with politicizing tv/movies today. Just because you didn't like a movie or tv show, doesn't automatically mean you are racist.

I have little interest in watching the show, its not for my demographic, but am pleased and proud that marvel is making content for Everyone, especially with Disneys history in Florida.

But damn your kind of comments and attitude really make us liberal swing voters consider voting republican just to teach you a lesson of humility.
Keep the politics out of it, please.

Remove ads