• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General MtG Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Spoiler Thread

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I've seen Magic played but never played
How does that card work? You spent 2 mana (1 white) and it's just there? And another 3 mana to actually equip it as a sorcery, which moves that card to the discard pile

Why not just require 5 mana?
Let's say you have two Mana, because it's the second turn, with a weak creature already on the board. You spend two Mana, and this Artifact is off to rge side, in play but not equipped. Next turn, you lay down a 3rd Mana Card, and spend the Mana to equip the weak creature with the max3. Nit so weak anymore. The artifact remains in play attached to the creature: if the creature dies, it stays in play but off to the sude, and you can pay 3 ro equip it to a new creature.

GSHamster

Adventurer
How does that card work? You spent 2 mana (1 white) and it's just there? And another 3 mana to actually equip it as a sorcery, which moves that card to the discard pile

It doesn't go to the discard pile (graveyard) when you equip. It becomes attached to the creature.

The big difference is that you can pay the equip cost to move it to another creature. As well, if the creature dies, the equipment stays in play and you can equip a different creature.

It doesn't go to the discard pile (graveyard) when you equip. It becomes attached to the creature.

The big difference is that you can pay the equip cost to move it to another creature. As well, if the creature dies, the equipment stays in play and you can equip a different creature.
Don't sorceries go to the discard pile after they're cast?
If you equip it as a sorcery wouldn't it be discarded then?
🤯

The number of keywords and jargon to learn is prolly why I'll never play Magic

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)

“[do thing] only as a sorcery” means [thing] is like a sorcery in timing - you can only [do thing] on your own turn, when there are no other cards or effects waiting to be resolved. What this specific [thing] - equip - does, is attaches the equipment to the creature, much like an enchantment. It remains on the battlefield, equipped to the creature. Unlike enchantments, however, equipment don’t go to the discard pile if the creature they’re equipped to dies. They remain on the battlefield, and can be equipped to another creature at any time (or rather, any time you could cast a sorcery) simply by paying the equip cost.

So you spend one white mana and one mana of any color for +2 Mace, and it’s just there. Then, at any time you could cast a sorcery, you can pay 3 mana of any color to equip it to a creature, which gets +2/+2 for as long as it’s equipped with +2 Mace. If you later play a different creature you want to give the mace to, you can pay 3 mana of any color to equip it to that creature instead (removing it from the first creature). And if a creature equipped with +2 Mace dies, the mace sticks around and you can pay 3 mana of any color to equip it to another creature if you want.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Don't sorceries go to the discard pile after they're cast?
If you equip it as a sorcery wouldn't it be discarded then?
🤯

The number of keywords and jargon to learn is prolly why I'll never play Magic
Sorcery is a casting speed in this case. It's about when in the turn rotation you can play a card. It's complex, but clear in play. Some math folks crunched the numbers, and apparently MtG is literally as complex as a game can be realistically, being "Turing complete."

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Sorcery is a casting speed in this case. It's about when in the turn rotation you can play a card. It's complex, but clear in play. Some math folks crunched the numbers, and apparently MtG is literally as complex as a game can be realistically, being "Turing complete."
Math Nerds: Magic the Gathering is as complex as a game can be!
Wizards of the Coast: Hold my beer.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads