• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General MtG Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Spoiler Thread

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
“Zariel, Archduke of Avernus” is the red planeswalker. I’m not too up on FR lore, but she’s a devil, right?
She is, in that she’s the Archduke of one of the nine hells. But technically she’s a fallen angel. She chose to become Archduke of Avernus so she could wage constant war on the devils, since Avernus is right on the front lines of the blood war. Red, as the color of passion, seems pretty fitting for an angel that fell out of hatred for demons.

Last edited:

Charlaquin

This seemed not unreasonable to me as a start... Loreley Writes - Color Pie Friday : Aligning the Colors

It's a bit restrictive. For example, some of the Black cards (like Yaheeni) aren't evil.

View attachment 139359
It works well enough as a rough baseline, but of course there are probably as many examples of characters that break this trend as there are that follow it. It also leaves out a few two-color combinations, not to mention mono color and 3+ color. And colorless.

If I were to map the Guilds of Ravnica to the alignment chart, I’d say Boros would actually be LG, with Gruul as CG (though you could make an argument for them being CN and Izzet being CG. Or both being CN and CG not being represented among the guilds). Dimir, as the 10th guild, would double-up on Lawful Evil.

Bardic Dave

Adventurer
It works well enough as a rough baseline, but of course there are probably as many examples of characters that break this trend as there are that follow it. It also leaves out a few two-color combinations, not to mention mono color and 3+ color. And colorless.

If I were to map the Guilds of Ravnica to the alignment chart, I’d say Boros would actually be LG, with Gruul as CG (though you could make an argument for them being CN and Izzet being CG. Or both being CN and CG not being represented among the guilds). Dimir, as the 10th guild, would double-up on Lawful Evil.
Have you guys seen the Icingdeath card? A White Chaotic Evil Ice Dragon! Not exactly what you’d expect in a more traditional mtg set. I was wondering what they were going to do about white dragons; the other chromatic dragons all map to their corresponding mtg colours quite well, but white, not so much. I guess they just decided to roll with it! Personally, I like it, but it’s about as far away from the regular white flavour as I can ever remember seeing.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Have you guys seen the Icingdeath card? A White Chaotic Evil Ice Dragon! Not exactly what you’d expect in a more traditional mtg set. I was wondering what they were going to do about white dragons; the other chromatic dragons all map to their corresponding mtg colours quite well, but white, not so much. I guess they just decided to roll with it! Personally, I like it, but it’s about as far away from the regular white flavour as I can ever remember seeing.
Mark said they thought about it, and felt people would be more upset about mismatched colors than the thematic color break.

Bardic Dave

Adventurer
Mark said they thought about it, and felt people would be more upset about mismatched colors than the thematic color break.
Interesting. I think he’s probably right.

Blue isn’t an ideal match either (desiccated deserts and 💧 aren’t a great fit) but at least the personality and alignment of the blue dragon falls well within blue’s traditional themes.

White dragons, on the other hand, couldn’t be more thematically dissonant if they tried. I’m not sure why, but I really like it.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Interesting. I think he’s probably right.

Blue isn’t an ideal match either (desiccated deserts and 💧 aren’t a great fit) but at least the personality and alignment of the blue dragon falls well within blue’s traditional themes.

White dragons, on the other hand, couldn’t be more thematically dissonant if they tried. I’m not sure why, but I really like it.
I would have gone with the breath weapons determining color. Red and Blue would be red cards, because lighting and fire = red. Black is interesting, because there are acid cards in red, green, black and blue, but most are green. I'd make black dragons a green card. Green would be black cards, because that's where most poison is. And lastly, white dragons would be blue cards due to their cold breath.

Charlaquin

That’s the lesson they learned from Grislebrand. A 7/7 that lets you pay 7 life to draw 7 cards… with 8 CMC. And it drove players crazy. Sometimes it’s more important to match the patterns player brains expect, even if it’s “wrong” from a design perspective.

Bardic Dave

Adventurer
I would have gone with the breath weapons determining color. Red and Blue would be red cards, because lighting and fire = red. Black is interesting, because there are acid cards in red, green, black and blue, but most are green. I'd make black dragons a green card. Green would be black cards, because that's where most poison is. And lastly, white dragons would be blue cards due to their cold breath.
Your reasoning is unimpeachable, but I hate your suggestions for no other reason than I can’t get past the dissonance of “blue dragon” appearing on a red card. Not sure why this matters more to me than the thematic dissonance; it’s a very knee-jerk reaction, more based in emotion than reason.

Remove ads