• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General MtG Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Spoiler Thread

I don’t understand the notion that it would be an insult to Ed Greenwood to leave Elminster out of the set. Sure, he’s a major character in the setting and kind of a self-insert for Ed, but like… What does it matter if he’s in the set or not? Why would that be an insult? Seems like such a weird thing to get so emotionally attached to.

I have been playing and DM'ing in the forgotten realms setting since AD&D, I have read every Ed Greenwood novel and novella including the non-D&D related ones as well as every novel from RA Salvatore. Played each of the FR based games, in fact just recently ran back through BG1 & 2 and still waiting for this weeks patch announcement for BG3. I grew up on the stories of Drizzt, Elminster, Khelben and the Seven Sisters. I have lasting memories of my friends and I running through years long campaigns in the realms. I don't understand how someone can't get emotionally attached to something. If you didn't then the creators of those stories didn't do their job very well.

Elminster isn't even Ed's favorite Realms character. Greenwood's Twitter, March 2, 2021: "I've created around 20,000 named characters for the Realms, and they're all part of the tapestry. I try not to play favourites, but if you press me, I'll admit to like writing about Mirt, Storm, Filfaeril, Florin, The Simbul, and the Srinshee. After that, Elminster."

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Elminster isn't even Ed's favorite Realms character. Greenwood's Twitter, March 2, 2021: "I've created around 20,000 named characters for the Realms, and they're all part of the tapestry. I try not to play favourites, but if you press me, I'll admit to like writing about Mirt, Storm, Filfaeril, Florin, The Simbul, and the Srinshee. After that, Elminster."
Other strong possibilities for Commander deck cards, actually. More big-ticket named characters fit in the Commander decks, as they only need one copy and that copy is guarenteed.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I have been playing and DM'ing in the forgotten realms setting since AD&D, I have read every Ed Greenwood novel and novella including the non-D&D related ones as well as every novel from RA Salvatore. Played each of the FR based games, in fact just recently ran back through BG1 & 2 and still waiting for this weeks patch announcement for BG3. I grew up on the stories of Drizzt, Elminster, Khelben and the Seven Sisters. I have lasting memories of my friends and I running through years long campaigns in the realms. I don't understand how someone can't get emotionally attached to something. If you didn't then the creators of those stories didn't do their job very well.
I’m not saying I don’t understand how someone could get emotionally attached to the Forgotten Realms - I absolutely do! I’m saying that I don’t understand why someone would be so emotionally invested in Elminster being represented on a card in this set. I get being a bit disappointed if he’s one of your favorite characters and you were looking forward to potentially getting to see him as a magic card. But being upset to the point of calling it a slap in the face of Ed Greenwood and refusing to buy anything from the set? I dunno, seems like a huge over-reaction to me.

Vael

Legend
Secret Lairs are all "Existing" cards. A new card would not be introduced through Secret Lair.

0a8e78b3-3232-4d48-9d6c-540951a0330e.jpg

A ... controversial card from last year's Secret Lair.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads