D&D General MtG Adventures in the Forgotten Realms Spoiler Thread

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
with the dungeon component can this be played solo? the dungeons feel like a side game?
No, the dungeons are just a clever way to track progressive bonus effects. There’s no game to play there, just choosing what bonus you’ll get when an effect says to venture into the dungeon.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Keep stopping and looking at this thread like I'm staring at a car crash
I'll never play but I keep reading
(even tried downloading the basic rulebook but every other card seems to have a keyword not detailed)

How the flip does DANSE MACABRE work?
Everyone sacrifices a creature and then you put it right back. Is that just you or does everyone also get to do that?
What's the benefit?
How does the 15+ work if it only returns cards put into your graveyard "this way?" Meaning Dance Macabred.
Let's say you are in a four player game (becauae thus is a Commander format only card). You and three other players each sacrifice a creature, and you get to pick which of the four to bring back under your control. Ideally, you sacrifice a weakling Mook and get a more powerful Creature, and three opponents are down a Creature at least.

Download Arena, it's free. It does a good job explaining the game, which really isn't too bad on practice.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
(even tried downloading the basic rulebook but every other card seems to have a keyword not detailed)

Everyone sacrifices a creature and then you put it right back. Is that just you or does everyone also get to do that?
What's the benefit?
How does the 15+ work if it only returns cards put into your graveyard "this way?" Meaning Dance Macabred.
Dense Macabre works this way.

You, and your opponent (And all other opponents) lose a critter. Then you recover one of these creatures. (You choose) If you roll particularly well, you recover two creatures among those lost. You get to choose.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)

Just you.
What's the benefit?
All of your opponents are down one creature, and you get to pick the best of the creatures lost this way and return it to play under your control (or the best two if you roll 15+).
Well, in a one-on-one game, you get the creature you sacrificed and the one your opponent sacrificed (cause those are your only options). In a game with more than two players, you get to pick whichever two you want most out of the creatures everyone sacrificed.

1st Commander Deck List...

Here's the problem with that, the decks don't come with dice, these are the only Commander Decks were you either need to buy a seperate product (dice), or doelwnload a dice app. Alot of Casuals who don't play D&D, or even experienced MtG players who don't play D&D are going to get screwed by this. Not cool. Precons are supposed to be self contained products, every the Player needs except and oppenent with their own deck. On that alone I deem these decks a failure.

Another thing, I was expecting like Strixhaven, that these decks would have 2 none Legendary characters each, they have 1, 2 Drizzt novel Characters, Lorcan, and a nobody character. No Elminster, no Jarlaxle, no Anton Marivaldi or one of the Bara (so much for diversity), Havlar, or Mehen, or the other Chosen, or Azoth.

And while I'm ranting...

And why is Volo of rare instead of a common or uncommon, he barely a wizard. Flump should have been a common or uncommon at best, almost every player of white hates it, that spot could have gone to Elminster. The set has too few legendaries, the ones it has have too many unknown characters and unknowns (okay Ellywick got popular fast, she's adorable, I ship her and the "I'm a monster" gnome from 4e, and her art is gorgeous). Too many good locations, characters, events spelps, and magic items benched, while too much eye rolling silly crap and cringy tropes got in, like +2 Mace, You Cross a River, Interagate the Prisoner (great mechanics, utterly immersion killing flavour), etc..., no dual lands, no Sagas (FR literally has Saga in it, the all that is holy they could at least have slipped some into AFC).

When this set hits, its a home run, Drizzt, Ellywick, Farideh, Minsc, Tiamat, Bahumut, Inferno, Icingdeath, Bruenor, etc..., but the misses are brutally bad either mechanically or in flavour and the missed opportunities are even worse. Later I'll talk about how I'd design the set.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Here's the problem with that, the decks don't come with dice, these are the only Commander Decks were you either need to buy a seperate product (dice), or doelwnload a dice app. Alot of Casuals who don't play D&D, or even experienced MtG players who don't play D&D are going to get screwed by this. Not cool. Precons are supposed to be self contained products, every the Player needs except and oppenent with their own deck. On that alone I deem these decks a failure.

I'm guessing there will lots of d20s (roll again if too high) for d12, d10, and d8, and d6 for d4.

And why is Volo of rare instead of a common or uncommon, he barely a wizard. Flump should have been a common or uncommon at best, almost every player of white hates it, that spot could have gone to Elminster.

I believe rarity in commander sets is based on how many of the decks the card occurs in. For the regular set it is based on making a good draft and making there be some expensive cards to lure people in.
When this set hits, its a home run, Drizzt, Ellywick, Farideh, Minsc, Tiamat, Bahumut, Inferno, Icingdeath, Bruenor, etc..., but the misses are brutally bad either mechanically or in flavour and the missed opportunities are even worse. Later I'll talk about how I'd design the set.
Have you never seen an MtG set before? :)

I'm guessing there will lots of d20s (roll again if too high) for d12, d10, and d8, and d6 for d4.

I believe rarity in commander sets is based on how many of the decks the card occurs in. For the regular set it is based on making a good draft and making there be some expensive cards to lure people in.

Have you never seen an MtG set before? :)

Like I said, the template should have been the Dominaria set, with Eldraine's Adventure mechanic spliced in and MDFCs. Historic (the Legendary/Artifact/Saga mechanic), Adventure, and MDFCs, and maybe one other mechanic. The precons should have shared the same basic idea, with a sprinkling of other mechanics like Amass.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy the Venture and Roll mechanics, but they have been extremely divisive.

Dual Lands based on Major Nations/Regions, it enters tapped unless you have a card exiled, plays nicely with Adventure and Foretell. Go wide for creature types except for Dragons.

Don't dial the power down too low.

Remove ads