D&D 5E Multi-class support in 5E

Gryph

First Post
OTOH, like it though I do, i have to say where Hybridizing fails utterly is one place I spend a lot of time: PCs who are not dabblers or 50/50 guys, but (non-Bardic) Jacks of all trades.

Which is why I like it...but not as much as 3.5Ed's rules.

It may not possible to represent this sort of character from level 1 on the way I would prefer. One of my earliest D&D character's was a Fighter/Mage/Druid. Something that I could not recreate after 2e to my own satisfaction. Waiting until level 6 to be the equivalent of 2/2/2 seems like the wrong pace and choosing features from 3 or more classes at each level seems like an insurmountable balancing issue.

I think your scenario is a good illustration of the difference in our preferences. I would rather give up the ability to triple (or more) class than have to use the 3e method to get there.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The thing is, if done right- and I have faith in pro game designers- it doesn't have to be an either/or proposition.

Each edition of D&D going back to first has had at least 2 forms of multiclassing, with differing restrictions & compatibilities. Adding additional options to the mix (in a game where "modular" seems to be the design mantra) is dooable.

I could see, for instance, a system that supports something like 3.5Ed's main style (non-Gestalt), Hybrids, and some style of Feat-based, with 3.5Ed & Hybrids being compatible with Feats, but not each other.

Or toning down 3.5Ed's Gestalts to something more like 1Eds multiclassing (in terms of power), Hybrids & Feats, with a similar restriction.

I'm not the guy to design it, but I think something like that could be done.

IanB

First Post
Personally I'm really hoping for multiclassing to be the one thing that cleaves closest to 3e. I have a massive preference for a system that doesn't require you to plan your whole build out in advance or make all your choices at first level; 3e is really the only D&D that lets you sort of organically grow into a totally new direction as you go. Losing that is probably my biggest regret from moving to 4e.

Remove ads