• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

multi-weapon fighting -- one more attack? or double the attacks?

JadeLyon

First Post
Maybe I'm dumb. But I can't really figure it out from the rules.

If a character has a base of +10/+5 to attack, and uses a second weapon, do they now get FOUR attacks? The rules say they get one additional attack. I just can't decipher whether they get one additional full attack, or just one more swing. Also, if its ONLY one additional attack, which weapon do they use for the additional attack?

Is it saying they get a full range of attacks at a -6 modifier, and then one more attack at a -10 modifer? It just seems very USELESS if it doesn't truely DOUBLE the attacks per round.

Voadam

Legend
Using a second weapon gives you an extra attack (with penalties) not an extra attack action. the extra attacks from BAB can only be used in a full attack action and only with the primary weapon. A second off hand attack can be gotten with the feat improved two weapon.

It's efficacy is another matter, think rogues flanking with two weapons and each strike getting sneak attack damage.

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
JadeLyon said:
It just seems very USELESS if it doesn't truely DOUBLE the attacks per round.

Some people think it's too powerful, some think it's too weak. One extra attack is quite a lot, frankly, but it's often balanced by the reduction in attack bonus.

JadeLyon

First Post
My problem with this is the number of feats it takes just to get one extra attack.... and you STILL end up with a -2 on all your attacks by the time you're done here.

Another inquiry....

Eventually, a character will get to +15, and have 3 attacks. Will they then have 3 attacks with the primary, and one attack with the secondary weapon?

Or do they alternate between weapons?

Ristamar

Adventurer
JadeLyon said:
Eventually, a character will get to +15, and have 3 attacks. Will they then have 3 attacks with the primary, and one attack with the secondary weapon?

Correct.

They can get extra attacks through the feats Improved Two Weapon Fighting (2nd offhand attack at an additional -5), Greater Two Weapon Fighting (3rd offhand attack at an additional -10), and Perfect Two Weapon Fighting (full iterative of attacks with both hands).

***('an additonal' meaning in addition to your normal two-weapon fighting penalties)

If you go all the way up the feat chain, the two weapon style isn't too shabby. Add in the Two-Weapon Rend feat on top of that, and you can really do some damage with a full attack.

Last edited:

novyet

First Post
Ristamar said:

If you go all the way up the feat chain, the two weapon style isn't too shabby. Add in the Two-Weapon Rend feat on top of that, and you can really do some damage with a full attack.

Or you can go tempest all the way, and not have to take the feats. Two weapon style has it's uses, and sees a pretty good amount of use in my campaign.

Geoff Watson

First Post
Multi-weapon Fighting actually gives one extra attack with each off-hand weapon. You may have confused it with Two-Weapon Fighting.

Geoff.

Crothian

First Post
Geoff Watson said:
Multi-weapon Fighting actually gives one extra attack with each off-hand weapon. You may have confused it with Two-Weapon Fighting.

Geoff.

It applies to creatures with three or more arms.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads