D&D 5E Multiclass House Rule

KarinsDad

Adventurer
The "Best 50/50 Multiclass?" thread got me thinking, can the rule that you are limited to your spell selection as per the level of each class be changed to limited to the same level that determines your multiclass spell slots and still be balanced (i.e. using the multiclass table for spell slots and prep levels)?

The reason I ask is that except for Class 1 level 1 or 2 (or sometimes rarely 3) / Class 2 level 10 types of PC are the only types I have ever seen. Even in martial only multiclass PCs, I have never seen Cleric 6 / Wizard 7.

This makes sense for special class abilities (i.e. not double the number of special abilities over a single classed PC), but I wonder about spellcasting. Is it really a good multiclassing rule if virtually nobody ever takes a Cleric 6 / Druid 6? (and yes, there might be a few players out there that probably do, but we are basically taking a small handful out of millions of players). People view these multiple spell caster multiclass builds as totally undesirable.

The main question is: Is the gain of higher level prepped spells unbalanced with that of a single class PC?

Note: the PC is still limited to prepping the number of spells as per the current multiclassing rules. The sole difference is what level of spells the PC can prep.

Let's compare a Cleric 6 / Druid 6 to a Cleric 12 (assuming 20 Wisdom). The PC loses the ability to wear metal armor (i.e. loses 2 to 6 AC), loses 6 preps of Clerics spells, loses 2 level 3 and 2 level 4 autoprep domain spells, loses an ASI, is limited to destroying CR 1/2 instead of CR 2 undead, loses a Divine Domain feature (like +D8 to weapon damage), loses Divine Intervention and a cantrip. The PC gains 3 or 4 cantrips, gains the ability to prep 10 Druid spells of levels 1 to 6, gains either the ability to wild shape into a level CR 1/2 creature and 2 level 1 and 2 level 2 autoprep circle spells, or the ability to wild shape into a level CR 2 creature as a bonus action, and if circle druid, gains travel through certain difficult terrain and saves vs. magical plants.

Most of the low level abilities gained are not very impressive (low level wild shape hit points and attacks in high level encounters), it's mostly the druid spells that really matter. And the PC gave up quite a bit to gain those (i.e. the lower AC and the higher level Clerical abilities and higher level domain spells). I don't see this as particularly unbalanced. The PC gains a lot of versatility, but loses quite a bit as well. The multiclass PC is still limited to the same number of spell slots as the single class PC, s/he just gets a much larger pool of spells to choose from when prepping (and does gain 4 additional prep slots).

Cleric 6 / Wizard 6 over Cleric 12 would gain significant spell casting abilities and AC. A significant cost would be the MAD of having good Wis, good Int, and then fairly low Dex and Con, and Cha/Str typically being dump stats (e.g. starting 16 Int instead of 10 Int would be 7 point buy points lost elsewhere). There are some higher level Cleric abilities lost like 2 level 3 and 2 level 4 autoprep Domain spells and the Divine Domain feature, but the gain of casting Wizard spells would typically make up for those. There is a slight difference since the bonus to hit with spells and the DCs of spells would tend to be 1 or 2 lower for at least one of the classes, the AC would probably be 1 lower, an ASI is lost (and MAD ASI occurs), and the PC would probably have 18 fewer hit points on average.

Or alternatively, Cleric 6 / Wizard 6 over Wizard 12 would lose about 6 hit points (MAD Con being 2 less), lose an ASI (and MAD ASI occurs), lose an Arcane Tradition feature, loses 6 prepped Wizard spells, gain 1 or 2 points of AC, and gains 10 prepped Cleric spells, gains 2 level 1 and 2 level 2 domain autoprep spells, and a few minor Cleric abilities (like turning minor undead).

Ranger 6 / Paladin 6 has the same spell casting as current multiclassing rules.

Cleric 6 / Ranger 6 over Cleric 12 gains an attack per round, gains ~6 hit points, loses an ASI, loses casting 1 5th and 1 6th level spell per day, loses casting 6th level spells at all, loses level 3 and 4 Domain spells, loses Divine Domain features (i.e. a little less combat damage), loses a cantrip, gains Fighting Style, gains Ranger Archtype, gains some minor Ranger abilities, gains level 1 and 2 prepped Ranger spells.

All in all, none of this seems particularly unbalanced to me. Two full spell casting classes that cast totally different types of spells seem to gain the most, but those are also the classes that tend to experience MAD.

If you think that this is unbalanced, please give a build example of imbalance and don't just state an opinion. This isn't the type of house rule evaluation which can be analyzed with opinion. It needs examples.

Edit: Changed domain and circle spell levels from caster level to spell level to avoid confusion.

Last edited:

Would you give a Wizard 5/ Cleric 5 access to both level 5 wizard spells and level 5 cleric spells? The non-spell abilities of spellcasting classes aren't nearly as important as their spell access and slots. If you recall third edition, most spellcasters prestiged out of their base class as soon as they qualified for any other class that kept giving them effective caster levels.

Why would anyone go Wizard 20, if multiclassing gave them access to the entire cleric spell list? Even if they didn't have the points to boost both casting stats, it would be easy enough to take offensive spells from the wizard and utility/healing from the cleric. Offensive cleric spells aren't all that great anyway.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I don't think Wizard 6/Cleric 6 or Cleric 6/Druid 6 is the problem with that house rule. The problem is something like Cleric 1/Druid 1/Sorcerer 1/Bard 1/Wizard 1 at level 5. It's very MAD (which may be enough to balance it!), but assuming a 14 in all 3 casting stats, you'd be able to prep 3 cleric, 3 druid, and 3 wizard spells, choosing the best from levels 1-3 of each list, as well as knowing 4 bard spells and 2 sorcerer spells (assuming you wait until level 3 and 4 to take them, so you can choose 2nd level spells.)

You know, even considering all that, I don't know if it's THAT bad. I think it depends on how much you value spell diversity. I would say a mid-level caster grabbing level 1 dips to expand their spell list broadly is the biggest possible breaking point. That and a Paladin 2/Sorcerer X getting to access the powerful mid-level paladin spells at the cost of 2 sorcerer points and 1 caster level.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The "Best 50/50 Multiclass?" thread got me thinking, can the rule that you are limited to your spell selection as per the level of each class be changed to limited to the same level that determines your multiclass spell slots and still be balanced (i.e. using the multiclass table for spell slots and prep levels)?
I would say:

No.

And, I would also say:

That's not really the biggest stumbling block. Having the high level slots is adequate to stay relevant, the lack of the higher level spells is the price for the greater breadth of casting possible when combining classes with radically different lists. 5e MCing is already a huge improvement of 3.5, in that way. The bigger stumbling block to MCing is now the treatment of ASIs and Extra Attack, IMHO.

That said, if you /really/ wanted to allow caster/caster combos access to higher level spells, the way to go might be to require the higher level spell be on /both/ (or all if more than 2) class's lists. So the character, for MCing, get's greater breadth of low level spells, but narrower of high level spells.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
You could also limit the maximum spell level by the class level. A cleric 6/wizard 6 could prepare up to 6th level spells of each class but a cleric 1/bard 1/sorcerer 1/wizard 1/druid 1 would still be limited 1st level spells of each class. It stops people taking a single level of wizard while taking 19 levels in another class and opening up all the wizard spells.

Evenly-split multiclass combinations like cleric/wizard and fighter/mage/cleric were primarily an artifact of the AD&D multiclassing rules, which rewarded those splits by roughly doubling your number of spells at low level but radically slowing your progression at high levels.

I don't think it's a problem that you don't typically see evenly-split cleric/druids or wizard/clerics in 5E using the default multiclassing rules. It's not like wizard/cleric was ever a real fictional archetype--it was just an artifact of a previous game's rule system.

Xeviat

Hero
I'd rather see Spell scaling in higher level spell slots be improved so that higher level comparable spells were only marginal improvements. Fireball in a 9th level slot is nothin compared to meteor swarm; burning hands in a 3rd level slot doesn't compare to fireball. If scaling was improved, with roughly equal damage between these, for instance, the higher level spells still have advantages (like range/size), but the lower levels still compete.

I wouldn't want Wizard 19/Cleric 1 to be that incentivized. The only way I could see balancing that would be if there were ability score requirements for spell levels again, and I don't think MAD is a significant balancer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KarinsDad

Adventurer
You could also limit the maximum spell level by the class level. A cleric 6/wizard 6 could prepare up to 6th level spells of each class but a cleric 1/bard 1/sorcerer 1/wizard 1/druid 1 would still be limited 1st level spells of each class. It stops people taking a single level of wizard while taking 19 levels in another class and opening up all the wizard spells.

This seems reasonable. There might have to be some other type of rule in place for semi-spell casters like Rangers or EK Fighters. Ranger 6 / Cleric 6 probably shouldn't get access to 6th level spells like Druid 6 / Cleric 6 (both classes give up spell caster over a single class PC of that type) since Ranger 12 aren't typically gaining a lot of spell casting capability over Ranger 6.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Would you give a Wizard 5/ Cleric 5 access to both level 5 wizard spells and level 5 cleric spells? The non-spell abilities of spellcasting classes aren't nearly as important as their spell access and slots. If you recall third edition, most spellcasters prestiged out of their base class as soon as they qualified for any other class that kept giving them effective caster levels.

Why would anyone go Wizard 20, if multiclassing gave them access to the entire cleric spell list? Even if they didn't have the points to boost both casting stats, it would be easy enough to take offensive spells from the wizard and utility/healing from the cleric. Offensive cleric spells aren't all that great anyway.

While some of what you say is true, there are other considerations. Like MAD. Like limited ASIs at certain levels. Like fewer number of prep spells for each class.

As a player, I have found that at many levels, it is a really difficult choice prepping Wizard (or Cleric, but less so there due to Domain spells) spells because there are so few prep slots. Now imagine that you are losing half of the prep slots (for your given class) due to your level. It is limiting. I sometimes find that I am prepping the wrong spells (or alternatively, always prepping the exact same spells with little variance). It would be worse if I had level / 2 fewer prep slots. It would be even tighter. Sure, a few good spells overlap on two different full caster lists, but versatility would both be gained and lost.

Another aspect of this is number of spell slots. As a Cleric 6 / Wizard 6, the player has two choices (he has many, but let's look at the extremes for this point). He can play like a Cleric and put up spells like Aid and Death Ward and Bless and such (at the cost of multiple spells slots per day), or he can play like a Wizard (at the cost of not really gaining spells like Aid and Death Ward and Bless because he rarely casts them). Pros and Cons. It's hard to be both a good Cleric and a good Wizard. The spell selection is there, but trying to be a Cleric buffer means fewer opportunities to be a Wizard controller per day. Granted, as you say, he does get the best spells from each class.

Effectively, the PC is giving up a little on ability scores (both from ASI lose and MAD lose), higher level class abilities, hit points, class prep slots and such, in order to gain lower level abilities and prep slots from a different class. It's great that the 10th level Wizard can now cast Mass Cure Wounds, but his DC for his 3 target Hold Person is 2 less. 1 encounter out of 3, 1 target out of 3 will make the save that didn't make the save before.

The question is: Is the versatility gain of prepped spells from the other class too much of a gain considering that virtually NOBODY plays these types of multiclass PCs with the current rules? Maybe it is. Maybe you are correct that nobody would play a single class Wizard.

Remove ads