D&D 5E Multiclass in 5E

Stormonu

Legend
Glancing over the new 5E docs, I didn't see any mention of multiclassing (If Its ther, just let me know).

So, at this point, if you wanted to concoct a fighter/wizard, wizard/rogue or whatnot, how would YOU do it? Would it be 1E/2E style where you select you classes at character generation, 3E style where you pick the class you advance in at each level, early 4E style with feats or late 4E style with hybrid classes? Or a mix or even something completely different?

Starbuck_II

First Post
Glancing over the new 5E docs, I didn't see any mention of multiclassing (If Its ther, just let me know).

So, at this point, if you wanted to concoct a fighter/wizard, wizard/rogue or whatnot, how would YOU do it? Would it be 1E/2E style where you select you classes at character generation, 3E style where you pick the class you advance in at each level, early 4E style with feats or late 4E style with hybrid classes? Or a mix or even something completely different?

I'll allow 2E (for all races even human no Dual) and 3E style, but they have to choose at 1st.

triqui

Adventurer
I'd go with either AD&D, or 4e hybrid.
Either that, or no multiclass at all (and replace multiclass with specific classes. IE: a spellblade for fighter-magic user archetype)

Stalker0

Legend
Based on what the devs have said and the character sheets so far, I'm going with mostly a 3e multiclass.

I am hoping though it will be a little bit more limited though. For example the 2d6 sneak attack plus skill mastery at 1st level for a rogue seems like a very tempting multiclass for anyone....so perhaps multiclassing will spread out some of those 1st level class bonuses.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
They promised there would be cake, I mean they promised 3.x style multiclass, but I'm not entirely sure how it will work regarding attack bonuses, perhaps it will involve taking the best of the two instead of adding them together, and in the case of the wizard/cleric their save DC's remain independent of each other, I don't know. All we know for sure is the +1 bonus to a score is only for the class taken at first level. But if I'm reading correctly, multiclassing doesn't give you the proficiencies of the new class (since those are listed under "When you create a character whose first class is X, you gain Y")

renau1g

First Post
Ugh, anything but 3e. That just led to all sorts of frankensteins and many ultra specific PRC's that just diluted content, unless you are truly multiclassing like need to keep within 1 level of each other in a hard rule.

Tovec

Explorer
I know a lot of people have had bad experiences with the 3e method mostly due to abuse, but I still think it is the best for the playstyle I like. It is the only one I know of where I can change my mind midstream and have it become more advantageous.

I like when I can use mutliclassing to advance classes naturally instead of having to make all my decisions before level 1 and never being allowed to change them.

Now, with all that said I'm perfectly fine if they give me an equally good option to advance this way. Maybe no multiclassing between base classes but giving me more choices with prestige classes or something. I don't know.

Halivar

First Post
1E for me, please. Thus far it's been the best of all possible multi-class rules, minus the human dual-classing.

EDIT: Let me elaborate -- At any given level of experience, a 1E Ftr-Mu, dividing his XP equally between classes, is far more proficient and useful in either track than a 3E Fighter/Wizard alternating levels.

nightwalker450

First Post
If they go 3e, they need to start testing it soon, they've already got issues for that.

Snap Shot + Sneak Attack.. Spend your action to hide, and can sneak attack in the same turn.

Remove ads