D&D 5E Multiclassing in self class instead.

"Multipathing" is a nice concept, and is more like something i was searching with this variant, but in some cases is worse to pick a level 3 feature twice instead to pick a 6 level feature,

I wanna create a kind of skill tree like a diablo games
Watch out for this: skill trees usually balance themselves by putting the weaker abilities at the bottom to encourage staying on one path at the cost of versatility, but DnD subclasses usually put the best features at the beginning. This is because DnD doesn't assume you'll reach the top of the tree anyways - they want to give you the defining features early so you can play like a berserker (or whatever) for the whole game rather than maybe get there near the end of the campaign (if at all).

Being able to pick 3 initial features is likely to be way better than a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd feature.

You probably can allow some swapping of features at the same level on a case-by-case basis.

Jushirambo

Villager
Watch out for this: skill trees usually balance themselves by putting the weaker abilities at the bottom to encourage staying on one path at the cost of versatility, but DnD subclasses usually put the best features at the beginning. This is because DnD doesn't assume you'll reach the top of the tree anyways - they want to give you the defining features early so you can play like a berserker (or whatever) for the whole game rather than maybe get there near the end of the campaign (if at all).

Being able to pick 3 initial features is likely to be way better than a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd feature.

You probably can allow some swapping of features at the same level on a case-by-case basis.

In some cases skill trees have a "bread and butter feature in 1° level, and some ramifications in each path, D&D have great features in early levels and some ribbons on others swapping os features would be unbalanced in some cases, because the archetypes are balance as a "package" a fighter with improved critical spells and maneuvers are too OP. How to rank a power of a feature to do that conversion?

...How to rank a power of a feature to do that conversion?
Very, very carefully.

It's not a crazy idea or unobtainable goal or not worth trying, but it's not going to be simple or easy. You'd basically need to re-write most classes to account for a whole new underlying structure. 5e DnD just isn't built to allow this level of mechanical customization. (Unless you stop caring about balance altogether, in which case go nuts!)

jsaving

Adventurer
Watch out for this: skill trees usually balance themselves by putting the weaker abilities at the bottom to encourage staying on one path at the cost of versatility, but DnD subclasses usually put the best features at the beginning.
I think that is precisely why so many players like the idea of doing it. :)

Jushirambo

Villager
Very, very carefully.

It's not a crazy idea or unobtainable goal or not worth trying, but it's not going to be simple or easy. You'd basically need to re-write most classes to account for a whole new underlying structure. 5e DnD just isn't built to allow this level of mechanical customization. (Unless you stop caring about balance altogether, in which case go nuts!)

The idea is interesting, but I don't believe it is worth doing. Maybe I'll try this in any way.

Remove ads