• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Multiheaded creatures

PrinceZane

First Post
Just got to thinking...

I'm not sure if I'm understanding Sav. Spec. right in the multiheaded template. Do multiheaded creatures with breath weapons get to breathe with all heads as one attack? My current understanding says yes, but the more I think about it and throw figures the more I want to say no.

Scharlata

First Post
PrinceZane said:
Just got to thinking...

I'm not sure if I'm understanding Sav. Spec. right in the multiheaded template. Do multiheaded creatures with breath weapons get to breathe with all heads as one attack? My current understanding says yes, but the more I think about it and throw figures the more I want to say no.

Hi!

If we talk about SS, page 125, Special Attacks, then we read: "... the extra heads also have breath weapons", as opposed to, say, "the extra heads use the same breath weapon". Page 124, Two-Headed Hellish Guardian Hound, Combat, Breath Weapon (Su) reads: "Each of the creature's two heads may breath ... every 2d4 rounds".

Just attack with each breath weapon independently.

Enjoy!

the Jester

Legend
Much like a (pyro- or cryo-) hydra, I believe a multiheaded creature can breathe with all its heads at once.

I got the first half of a tpk this way once, with a three-headed bile-breathing chuul... the bile dealt acid damage and con damage. :( :uhoh:

PrinceZane

First Post
well, im thinking about having the guys roll up lvl 40 chars (5 pcs @ lvl 40, should be able to take a CR 48 right? maybe i should make them all 45...)

anyway, their targ is a garg 20 headed black dragon. Once I get done being lazy ill throw out the stats that I "think" it has and let you guys correct my math which will probably be wrong.

Venport

First Post
is this the start of a campaing? or just some weird one time thing? starting at 40th lvl is crazy... however running a 20 headed Black dragon is also crazy... good luck

PrinceZane

First Post
Well, thanks to this new game I've been playing called "Real Life" (by the way, before you even think your interested in it, don't waste your time: 1. its not worth it to buy, 2. there are no cheat codes (especially no God modes), 3. no such thing as houserules. This thing called "law" and "the government (some people also use "cops") don't like houserules very much and tend to target those people)

But yeah, I haven't got a chance to finish that dragon. It's only gonna be a 1 time shot. Just something to pull out as a comic relief thing.

You say 1 cr 48 dragon vs a team of lvl 40s would own hands down... what about level 50s? I want them to have a chance, but at the same time, I don't want them to march through it like its some cr 1/6 kobold

the Jester

Legend
In my experience, a new-made epic character (rather than one built up over time) functions at about 60-75% of their full effectiveness. You just don't know all your tricks cuz you've never had the chance to build up your repertoire.

Also, remember that dragons are actually under-ranked for CR.

PrinceZane

First Post
Hmm, few good points. Maybe I'll just scrap it then. I don't want to do it if its not going to be "all out". I want it to be something that will be remembered (even if it is just for the heck of it) instead of just a new way to TPK everyone

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads