• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Multiple Saves for the Same Effect

eamon

Explorer
If the effect with the longest duration applies, then surely the last save is relevant?

Pages 269, 278 and 279 all state that you save against all active effects. Ongoing damage gets special treatment, so I'll disregard that right now, but excepting ongoing damage, the rule is clearly that you must save once for each effect.

If a target is affected by multiple powers that have the same effect but end at different times, the effect with the most time remaining applies.

So suppose a creature is under two effects: one causes him to glow green and be dazed, and the other to glow red and be dazed. Clearly, he must save against both effects separately, and each effect ends whenever its save comes up. Let's say the effects end at different times (green after one round, red after two rounds). Clearly then the dazed condition applies so long as the effect with the most time remaining applies.

Now, suppose the green/red glowing is flavor text, and the effects now simply read: dazed and cannot gain concealment. Now, two powers that have the same effect but end at (potentially) different times affect the creature. The rules clearly state that the effect with the most time remaining applies - this is natural and consistent since that the "shorter" effect simply fully overlaps with the longer effect.

What some people in this thread are suggesting is that two identical effects never actually affect a creature simultaneously. If you're affected the second time, the second effect and the first (identical effect) are completely merged into one - you make only one save, and it makes no sense to speak of "powers that have the same effect but end at different times" since there is only ever one ending time. This "merging" of powers isn't the same thing as applying the effect with the longest duration

This alternative interpretation is explicitly supported for ongoing damage - the rules say that when if you're taking ongoing 10 damage and gain ongoing 5 damage (of the same type) then you're simply taking ongoing 10 damage, but there's no support I can find for other effects.

I'd interpret the rules thus to say that all effects must be saved against separately - even if they affect a creature identically.

There's a consistency argument for avoiding the "merging" argument: what's worse, becoming dazed (save ends) or becoming dazed and immobilized (save ends both)? Clearly the latter. But if you use the "merging" approach, if you're already dazed and immobilized (save ends), then becoming dazed (save ends) is actually worse - now you have to manage two saves to avoid being dazed, whereas if you happened to be targeted by a power with an identical effect, the two effects durations would be merged.

On the other hand, there's obviously a simplicity argument in favor of "merging" identical effects - coupled with the observation that it probably doesn't matter very much for balance in almost all cases.

Regardless, I don't see the rules supporting the "merging".

eamon

Explorer
Agree to disagree.

By chance has anyone posed this to customer support?

Not me, anyhow.

I don't mind disagreeing, but I'm honestly interested in the rationale behind the save-"merging" approach - it obviously reasonable (gameplay-wise), but I just don't see where it's coming from...

jasin

Explorer
If one save clears all, odd combinations crop up with save ends both conditions.

Say you get hit by 5 ongoing and slowed (save ends both) and 10 ongoing (save ends). You're taking 10 ongoing and you're slowed, and at the end of your turn you successfully save. Which conditions get removed?

If the answer is all of them, this means you're better off than if were hit by slowed (save ends) and 10 ongoing (save ends), in which case you'd clearly have to make two saves.

jdcash

First Post
Bottom line up front - We are interpreting the same words differently.

I understand that the way I interpret the rules creates situations where that would not make sense in reality, but this is a game and not reality so sometimes reality has to be tossed in order for the game to work. If someone wants to create situations that require more complicated accounting of effects and damage for the sake of more realism, that is OK with me, but I want to play the game and not have the game play me.

My attitude toward the game is probably why I interpret the same words differently and lean toward the easier interpretation.

One example that I can offer that may explain my viewpoint would be with multiple hits that deal ongoing fire damage. A player character is either on fire or he is not. If the player makes the save then he is not partially on fire. It is in the same vein as kinda pregnant. ;)

So again, agree to disagree.

James McMurray

First Post
If one save clears all, odd combinations crop up with save ends both conditions.

Say you get hit by 5 ongoing and slowed (save ends both) and 10 ongoing (save ends). You're taking 10 ongoing and you're slowed, and at the end of your turn you successfully save. Which conditions get removed?

Personally, I wait until strange corner cases such as this actually appear in a game before I worry about them. Making a system more complicated in order to avoid something that is unlikely to occur is bad design IMO.

If it does come up, we'll take a vote. As a guess, it'd probably end up being that you roll saves against both the ongoing 5 + slow and the ongoing 10.

Jack99

Adventurer
We roll multiple saves. Much more fun this way. I agree that the rules are oddly formulated, but the biggest argument for multiple rolls is game balance. Some monsters really suffer if several applications of an effect can be removed with just 1 save.

Nail

First Post
The one you saved against. In this case its clear there are two separate condition sources, so I have less of a problem with two separate saves.

FireLance

Legend

If the answer is all of them, this means you're better off than if were hit by slowed (save ends) and 10 ongoing (save ends), in which case you'd clearly have to make two saves.
The way I play it (which may or may not be by the RAW, but I don't really care) is the PC gets to make one save against each separate group of conditions. So, in the example above, the PC gets one save against "5 ongoing and slowed", and a second save against "10 ongoing". If he succeeds on the first saving throw but not the second, he still takes 10 ongoing. If he succeeds on the second saving throw but not the first, he still takes 5 ongoing and is still slowed.

For ease of tracking purposes, I rule that identical groups of conditions don't stack. If the PC gets hit by another attack that inflicts "5 ongoing and slowed (save ends)" while he is still affected by a previous "5 ongoing and slowed (save ends)", a single saving throw removes both of them.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads