Music and D&D

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
For a serious reply to the thread, btw, I almost always have music when I play, because it's very hard for me not to. I try to avoid music with lyrics, because that distracts other people at the table, but I have several playlists on spotify for different styles of game, moods, themes, etc, and I have music I play before the session and during breaks that would be distractig during play, that further encapsulate the particular game we're playing.

Some highlights recently have been:

The Mask of Zorro soundtrack, along with some lute music and spanish guitar tracks i found on spotify for a "Fantasy Zorro meets Indiana Jones" one shot I wrote for a public library mini-con recently. The training song and a couple others from Zorro are perfect for swashbuckling action, and the rest made perfect background music.

For my Eberron game: Tank! from Cowboy Bebop, along with other similar jazz tracks mostly from the Hackney Colliery Band, Brass Monkey Brass Band, Hot 8 Brass Band, and other brass band jazz outfits, though I need to fill it out with some more noir appropriate low key tracks for upcoming story arcs.

Weird West style 5e game where my wife and I play twin tieflings names Silas and Patience Pentagast, whose parents were murdered by a devil worshipping preacher and his cult: Zeal and Ardor, Shawn James (especially stuff like his cover of Number of The Beast, and his original track Burn The Witch), Call of Ktulu and Ecstasy of Gold from the Metallica S&M album, Broken Bones by KALEO ("Devil gonna make me a free man, devil gonna set me free"), and Johnny Cash.

Our characters often have playlists or at least "theme songs" as well, and I can't hear Ed Sheeran's Castle On The Hill without thinking about how Finnan O'Foalan will never return to his home, even though that's all he really wants in life, or What's Left of The Flag by Flogging Molly without seeing Dresden Woodsheart on his knees on the shore of his home staring in horror and disbelief as his ship burns, and his family's corpses are animated to fight in a senseless sorcerer's duel he is powerless to do anything about.

I can't say I've ever had this, but what I have done is created song collections by theme, so that I have fitting music for every occasion. So I have a list for romantic music, sad music, upbeat music, battle music, suspenseful music, chase music, scary music, traveling music, etc.

Remove ads