Music in your sessions 2!

Arkham

First Post
I found that for Ravenloft George Crumb is awefully appropriate.

Specifically Music For a Summer Evening, Zeitgeist, and Ancient Voices of Children...

J_A_Garlock

First Post
gamecat said:
I havent heard much of them, but what ive heard, i like... im big on Aphex Twin, Front 242, and Laibach as well.

Skinny Puppy's new stuff isn't as good IMO. Look for Too Dark Park, Last Rights and Rabies ( if you like Al Jurgenson of Ministry fame/ he collabarated with them on this one ) ) Laibach is cool, I liked Opus Dei better than NATO. Front 242 is definately old school. Head Hunter is a classic. Aphex Twin is not my cup of tea, too free style.

Kashell

First Post
arnwyn said:
No need for either - I have a 200 CD jukebox and a remote in hand during the session (expanding soon).

Nope. The appropriate song is played at the appropriate time. This widely varies. It's unlikely the same song will be heard in a six-month period (there are some exceptions, though).

Sweet :) I would love a remote to change the tracks on my computer.

Remote for the win!

Narfellus

First Post
CONAN! COOONAAAAN!

Yeah, it's great, but we've been using it for, oh, ten years or so. I have a collection of mp3's and wav's that my brother helped organize into Battle Music, Suspense, Travelling, Scary, etc. But what takes the cake lots of time are the sound effects, but these are massively time consuming for a GM. It's hard enough to run an adventure while jumbling numbers and skipping to play tracks, without having to worry about queuing up "Demon Roar.wav", but often the payoff is worth it. We even spent some time one day with the guys and a microphone making innocuous background noise and clinking glasses together with varying amounts of water, then re-edited with a sound mixer to create "Tavern Sounds." Yes, it takes a little work, but it's fun.

The easiest way to do it is to just have one or two sounds that will be used at a specific point, although i've gone overboard at times. I found it even harder in non-DnD games where i have sounds effects for:

pistols, lugers, shotguns, combined gunfire, traffic, cars, trucks, planes, telephones, etc.

But for horror games it works great to have a few distant screams, or growls, to really set players on edge.

spider_minion

First Post
Most of the music I use is from video game soundtracks (to a lesser extent I use movie soundtracks as well). Over the years I've been amassing a good deal of mp3's. I like listening to them anyway, but they are perfect for D&D. Everything I use is insturmental--lyrics with people talking just creates noise.

My music is on my laptop, which I also put all my D&D notes on. I try to bring my speakers to the games as well. I have all the tracks sorted in My Music, and also have shortcuts to tracks with the adventure notes.

I've really gotten used to music during adventures. When there's combat, I really notice the silence if something's not playing.

Remove ads