D&D General High Gygaxian: Time To Post Your Favorite Purple Verbiage

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
...And now you're a lawyer*. :)

*At least, that's the impression I got from your postings during the OGL fiasco -- please correct me if I'm wrong.

In much the same way that "Everyone who heard the Velvet Underground went on to form their own band," it has been my experience that everyone who was really into OD&D / AD&D (as opposed to the people who briefly played it during the fad times) tend to be over-represented in certain fields, from coding to engineers to lawyers to certain artistic endeavors.

But that's just anecdotal.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
ALL THAT IS REQUIRED FOR THE FUN AND MAGICKS OF A SESSSION OF DUNGEONS & DRAGONS IS A PEN, A PAPER, SOME DICE, AND YOUR IMAGINATION. AND, INDUBITABLY, A PUNCH CLOCK TO MOST ACCURATELY ASSESS THE TRUE HOURS OF ADVENTURE.
Without a timeclock, working out the party's tax obligations at the end of the fiscal year is a real hassle, and the king's auditors are now equipped with +1 halberds.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
"As this book is the exclusive province of the DM, you must view any non-DM player possessing it as something less than worthy of honorable death."

"When an assassin reaches 9th level (assassin), he or she may opt to make a study of poisons. This decision should come from the player in the case of a player character, i.e., do not suggest it or even intimate that such a study can be undertaken."

"A MONK AT 1ST LEVEL IS CAPABLE OF STUNNING OR KILLING ONLY AN OPPONENT OF MAN-SIZE (M) OR SMALLER. FOR THE PURPOSES OF THIS DETERMINATION, MAN-SIZE SHALL BE:

Maximum Height: 6' 6"
Maximum Weight: 300#"

"Yet because the player character is all-important, he or she must always- or nearly always- have a chance, no matter how small, a chance of somehow escaping what otherwise would be inevitable destruction."

"Someone once sharply criticized the concept of the saving throw as ridiculous. Could a man chained to a rock, they asked, save himself from the blast of a red dragon's breath? Why not?, I replied. If you accept fire-breathing dragons, why doubt the chance to reduce the damage sustained from such a creature's attack?"

"The mechanics of combat or the details of the injury caused by some horrible weapons are not the key to heroic fantasy and adventure games."

Remove ads