Musical instruments

Shadowbane2

First Post
I once played the Sax, and was damn good at it too! Then some issues came up in my life and I had to leave it by the wayside.

Once played Bass extensively. Then once again, issues came up and I had to drop it. I still take it out and play it occasionally.

Now I play the Banjo. I got a good feeling about this one. A feeling lkike I won't have to give it up. ;)

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Thunderfoot said:
DUDE! we SO have to hook up sometime and crush brain cells. I haven't worked with a good composer in years and I have some strange ideas I'd like to bounce of your cranium.
Hey, you're the one in the business. ;) I consider a hobby of mine, mostly. Whenever I'm not studying. :uhoh:

What I really want to do is compose a really epic RPG video game music (kind of like Final Fantasy?). If I could get my name out that way, I'd compose for a movie (though neither of those will ever happen :lol: )

Conaill

First Post
Almost forgot: I used to play the sax too. Or at least, I *tried* to.

I love the instrument, but I'm sadly lacking in talent. Looks gorgeous on my wall though. Plus as an engineer, I really appreciate a well made piece of machinery like that.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Hey you two! I'm an entertainment lawyer- let me draw up the contracts!

There are a lot of computer game programmers out there just looking for musicians- do a little research.

For instance, down here in Dallas, SMU has something called the Guildhall- a program through which they offer a degree in computer game design. Those students need musicians. While I'm sure they usually use fellow students, I'm sure they'll use anyone they can get for the right price (usually free).

The point of going that route is networking. If you do a good job for an undergrad's game, he or she WILL remember you...and you'll have something for your resume.

Heck- over the past decade, rappers and rockers of international status have contributed their talents to game soundtracks- it could be you...

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Dannyalcatraz said:
Hey you two! I'm an entertainment lawyer- let me draw up the contracts!

There are a lot of computer game programmers out there just looking for musicians- do a little research.
Very true. When I was a UT-Dallas, there was an organization just for game programming. I went to one of the meetings and met lots of interesting programmers wanting music for their games.

Most of them didn't get very far off the ground, though, and I eventually had to leave Dallas. I don't know where to find a resource like that in Houston.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Start a thread! SOMEBODY on these boards is likely to be a gaming industry professional with a rolodex or Palm with the info you need.

Beyond that, I know U of H hosts a lot of CLE courses for attorneys all over the state- at least a couple of them will be on the entertainment biz. You could take such a course, but they're pricey and will cover a lot of stuff you either won't need or might not understand. However, if you get a flyer, the speakers will be listed... And U of H's staff would probably know someone.

Prof. Walt Champion, a buddy of mine, is widely published in Sports & Entertainment law, and he's connected to TSU.

There are also several books out there that are essentially "Who's Who" in the biz. Mostly, they cover company executives and their gatekeepers, but you're starting to see more esoteric entertainment associations show up.

The local Chamber of Commerce probably also lists all the game companies of note within the city and its 'burbs.

Also check out the free press, recording studios and music stores. If anyone knows who is looking for musicians and composers, its them.

Last edited:

Are you two going to GenCon, I'd love to hook up over a Guiness and just talk. I may have a project in the works thanks to another thread here and I could use the advice (legal) to see if there are some roadbumps I might have to negotiate and possibly some advice (musical) on arrangement.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Alas, no. But for the occassional one in the D/FW area, I don't go to cons.

You can almost always find me here, though...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases