• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Must...get...Perform..up

Xain335

First Post
Ok, I'm a level 12 gnome bard in DnD and I'm trying to get my perform check up as much as possible for a spell called THe Fugue of Tvash-Prull. ((the higher you get on your perform check, the worse things happen to people who hear it. a 60 is auto death.)) Any spells, wondrous items, etc. that could help would be great! 3.5 edition, BTW.

Last edited:

VirgilCaine

First Post
3.0 or 3.5? Allegedly high skill bonus items were very cheap in 3.0.

Make spells that add different bonuses to your perform check--circumstance, competence, use all of them.

Henry

Autoexreginated
OK, let's assume you're starting with a 16 CHA.

Gnome Bard 15 ranks + 3 (CHA) +3 (skill focus) = +21 bonus.

Cloak of Charisma +6 = 36,000 gp, if you can swing it. That's a +24.

If you DM allows, a music instrument (Harp of Performing) would cost 10,000 gp to make one that gives your perform checks a +10 circumstance bonus. That's a +34 to the check.

Past that, I'm unfamiliar with any supplements that contain spells or magic to raise you further, but I'm sure some exist and someone could tell you where.

Zappo

Explorer
There's a clerical spell that gives you a +10 to any skill check IIRC. You could get a wand of that, and use it with Use Magic Device. Also, a masterwork instrument should give you a +2 circumstance bonus.

Impeesa

Explorer
BiggusGeekus said:
Get some backup singers. If they get a 10 on their perform check you get a +2 bonus for "Aid Another".

Exactly. The Stormsinger has a similar ability, doing lightning damage equal to your perform check... I've heard at least one person propose that the best way to use this was with a 200-piece marching band playing the 1812 Overture. :)

--Impeesa--

Henry

Autoexreginated
So, we've got:

15 ranks + 3 (CHA) + 1 (3 CHA level boosts) + 3 (skill focus) + 3 (cloak of CHA +6) +10 ("Harp of Performing") +3 (circlet of persuasion) + 22 (11 backup singers :)) = +60 to perform check! Viola! :D

Or, if your DM will only count the backup singers as +2, then you're at +40, still one heck of a bonus.

wakedown

Explorer
Nymph's Kiss from Book of Exalted Deeds will give you +2 on charisma skill checks (and more skill points too). This is a powerful feat though and should run through a DM for it to be taken.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads