D&D (2024) "Must-have" spells

Clint_L

Hero
This is an interesting list. I don't agree with all of them, but you have some good points.

has been returned. Is your concern with the playtest version?

Is class-specific and automatic. No longer a problem.

Helps other players; and so a good use of an action in my book. Teamwork!

Not everyone wants a pet; those who do aren't always casters, and so need the feat. I agree that it could be cleaner, but it isn't too powerful, especially now that flyby has been removed.

Cure wounds and Healing word are both good choices, and many casters won't have both. I'm fine with this.

Agreed -- should be tuned down.

Agreed -- should be tuned down.

Counterspelling is a whole mini-game that I think hapens more at other tables than the ones I play at. I understand the concern, but I haven't felt it to be broken in paly. I accept that changes are needed.

Tradition.

Could be tweaked, but a spell's investment for a safe night's sleep is a fine investment.

In most campaigns I am in the diamond requirement keeps it inaccessible. It just can't be cast. (GP requirements for spells ar ethe worst way to gatekeep access).

Perhaps.

Both of these are combat-breakers. Bumping them up a level would help; but they do bring in player fun.

I think it's fine.

All the rest are level 5+; the imbalance is so big in the game at that point, it's really hard to clarify. They aren't all spells I would choose, I'll admit. I like Plane Shift, and think it shoudl be more accessible (e.g. to Horizon Walker Rangers). But at this level many spells have the ability to deform campaigns.
I should have specified that I discussing the spells as they currently exist in the game, on the premise that nothing in OneD&D is final yet. So Eldritch Blast, for example, is currently a spell that is not automatic for Warlocks, though this looks like it will be corrected for OneD&D, and spells like Spirit Guardians, Banishment, and Guidance are being addressed, as they should be.

Note that Leomund's Tiny Hut can be cast as a ritual; simply removing that would make it much more balanced.

I like counterspell and counterspell duels. I also think polymorph is super fun. My concern is that they are must-have spells, which I just generally see as an issue - if players are taking spells without much thought, maybe those should become class features. Eldritch Blast is the classic example.

I disagree that Healing Word and Cure Wounds are comparable. Being able to pick someone up from 0 HP, at range, as a bonus action, is extraordinarily game altering, and the extra 2 HP of healing from cure wounds is nominal. The problem with using resource cost to control spell use (revivify) is that it is so campaign dependent; many DMs barely track spell reagents (I recognize that my argument on this is inconsistent, though; c.f. my point about Hero's Feast).

Heal and Greater Restoration are both no brainer spells, which is why I concluded them even though I don't think either is OP, so this is probably a case where the competing spells need to be made more competitive.

As for Fireball and "tradition"...I mean, it's a valid argument, with Fireball going all the way back to Chainmail, but still, if it's that much better than the competition, shouldn't it be nerfed just a little?

I agree that not everyone wants a pet, but honestly Find Familiar is so much more impactful than every other Level 1 spell that isn't Healing Word. It takes a bit of imagination and effort, though, which maybe balances it somewhat, depending on the player.

Last edited:

Clint_L

Hero
I'm less concerned about the 9th level spells, both because they rarely come up in play and 9th level spells are supposed to be the Bee's Knees. I'm more concerned that they fix the duds at this level, quite frankly.
Fair. I mean, Wish is...well, it's been an issue going back to its introduction in OD&D, so I'm not sure that this spell can ever really be balanced in itself. It's utterly dependent on the DM. But other than that, you are right - probably most of the ones I listed are no-brainers because everything else on the list is either much worse or very situation specific.

mellored

Legend
Note that Leomund's Tiny Hut can be cast as a ritual; simply removing that would make it much more balanced.
Also clarification that your not allowed to shoot arrows out of it.

Something like, 'if anyone inside takes a hostile action, the spell ends'
I also think polymorph is super fun.
Polymorph should get the same fix wildshape does.

just need to figure out what that is first.
disagree that Healing Word and Cure Wounds are comparable. Being able to pick someone up from 0 HP, at range, as a bonus action, is extraordinarily game altering, and the extra 2 HP of healing from cure wounds is nominal.
I agree.
But half the problem is the death rules.
The problem with using resource cost to control spell use (revivify) is that it is so campaign dependent; many DMs barely track spell reagents
A DM could drop a lot of health potions, or not. Having a few dials to adjust the deadlines of a campaign is a good thing IMO.

Really, I think there needs to be a revivify potion. More expensive, but available for groups who want more deadly campaigns.
Heal and Greater Restoration are both no brainer spells, which is why I concluded them even though I don't think either is OP, so this is probably a case where the competing spells need to be made more competitive.
Make them automatic cleric spells?
As for Fireball and "tradition"...I mean, it's a valid argument, with Fireball going all the way back to Chainmail, but still, if it's that much better than the competition, shouldn't it be nerfed just a little?
Make it an evoker exclusive spell?
So "Fireball" is the same damage.

But everyone else gets "explosion", which is a bit weaker.

Stalker0

Legend
Cantrip wise, I’ll add chill touch and toll the dead. Toll the dead is the best damage cantrip other than EB. Chill touch’s ability to negate regen js just so damn useful in certain fights.

5th level - wall of force, it’s a game changer in fights, can honestly do many of the things forcecsge can do with no components and much earlier in level.

I want to echo revivify as probably the ultimate must have…because of how bad a player might feel if a fellow player dies and you don’t have it ready. That can create some real awkwardness at the table for certain players…so it’s meer existence compels certain players to feel obligated to have it ready.

I don’t consider heal must have, it’s just clerics have such terrible spells at that level, what else are you going to pick

Stalker0

Legend
When we think of must have wizard spells, inthink we have to consider:

1) spells wizards always take wjtb their 2 spells per level

Vs

2) spells wizards always try to pick up with extra money.

Take water breathing for example. It has such a low cost to make any water encounter trivial a wizard would be foolish not to pick it up if they had the chance (a wizard should ritual cast that spell every day unless seriously pressed for time). However, would I take it with my precious 2 learned spells a level…probably not.

Remove ads