• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Must Own DVD Movies That Define The Fantasy & SciFi Genres?

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I'm looking to expand my DVD collection and add quality movies and tv series that are turning-point or definitive towards defining the fantasy and scifi genres.

List dvd releases that you believe add to quality of a DVD library and the reason why it is definitive.

I'm looking for Top 10's of both genres. If thats too constraining, the Top 25.

Movies Mentioned That I Own
Beastmaster
Blade Runner
Conan
Dragonslayer
Fantasia
Fantasia 2000
Highlander
The Incredibles
The Little Mermaid
The Matrix
Night of the Living Dead (Original Romero version)
The Princess Bride
Star Wars Anthology (All 6)
Terminator
Tron
Wizard of Oz

Last edited:

Shade

Monster Junkie
A few obvious ones...

For fantasy, the Lord of the Rings trilogy (go for the extended versions..worth the money). Why? Shows what money and passion can do with a fantasy property.

For Sci-Fi:
The original Star Wars trilogy. Why? Pretty much responsible for the greenlighting of everything sci-fi related that followed.

A few less obvious choices:

Brotherhood of the Wolf - Genre-bending and damned entertaining.
The 13th Warrior - A better Sword & Sorcery film than both Conans.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Blade Runner... special anniversary box set edition if you can find it (I'm, still annoyed that I got the directors cut before the special anniversary box set was announced).

Klaus

First Post
Fantasy:
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Dragonslayer
Legend
13th Warrior
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Reign of Fire
Hellboy II (when it comes out)

Sci-Fi:
Blade Runner
Star Wars Trilogy
Terminator
Alien/Aliens
Iron Man

Funny thing is, there are some fantasy movies that are "must haves" that may not match your definition of "quality."

No fantasy collection is complete without Krull, Dragonslayer, Clash of the Titans, Conan (the first one), and Beastmaster (also the first one), but I wouldn't claim that all of those are necessarily "quality" movies. ;)

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Funny thing is, there are some fantasy movies that are "must haves" that may not match your definition of "quality."

No fantasy collection is complete without Krull, Dragonslayer, Clash of the Titans, Conan (the first one), and Beastmaster (also the first one), but I wouldn't claim that all of those are necessarily "quality" movies. ;)

I do agree with you Mouse. As a matter of fact I do own Beastmaster, Conan and Dragonlayer. Now I'm looking to fill in the gaps with quality.

Krug

Newshound
Fantasy:
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Dragonslayer
Legend
13th Warrior
Brotherhood of the Wolf
Reign of Fire
Hellboy II (when it comes out)
The Dark Crystal
The Princess Bride