• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Must see movie for D20 Modern.

snak

First Post
May be old news ,but I just saw the Dvd/movie "Dog Soldiers." Holy Cows! Brotherhood of the Wolf meets Saving Pvt. Ryan meets Die hard. Only cooler with various UK accents and MP 5's.

Darrell

First Post
Shadowdancer said:
I thought Dog Soldiers was a bad rip-off of Predator. Predator -- that's your must-see d20 Modern movie.

Personally, I preferred 'Predator 2.'

Primarily because I prefer "'ordinary guy' vs. big, ugly critter" stories to "muscle-bound military guy vs. big, ugly critter" stories; but also because Danny Glover, by himself, can out-act the entire original 'Predator' cast--without even trying hard.

Regards,
Darrell King

Benedict

First Post
Another great movie to catch is Cast a Deadly Spell. An HBO movie from the early 90s (if memory serves), set in the 20s or 30s about an LA Detective in a world where magic is real. It's definitely got a Cthulhu slant, but not so dark. I have seen this one at video stores in the past but hadn't thought of seeing it again until reading D20.

Benedict

Bagpuss

Legend
Shadowdancer said:
I thought Dog Soldiers was a bad rip-off of Predator. Predator -- that's your must-see d20 Modern movie.

I'd agree on Predator being a must see movie but the simularities between Dog-Soliders and Predator are pretty slim. Both military against monster, but thats about it. Well not even that as its military against one alien, compared to military against several supernatural creatures.

Kesh

First Post
Bah. it's a werewolf movie. That automatically makes it better! :D

I'll admit, it was a bit thin on plot, and the pacing was off. But still, it was a decent flick, and good inspiration for a d20 Modern werewolf adventure.

paulewaug

I agree with bagpuss and kesh.

I mean w/regards to Predator the only real similarity is that they are a military unit droped off on a 'mission' of sorts and they don't really know the truth of the matter.

But I can't think of a more enjoyable werewolf movie besides American Werewolf in London/Paris and that is a fairly different type of movie.

After I watched it I wanted to go out and start a d20 Modern right then, but that was this summer on the SciFi channel and months before d20 Modern came out.
I thought it has some great lines, especially some UK verbage that us 'Yankees' don't get much exposure to, and the characters reactions to what was going on around them, especially in the farm house was pretty good.

snak

First Post
I liked all the little character developement. The fireside chat when they talk about fear, and the Sgt's story of his friends tattoo just clicked in my mind. "This would be great flavor to inject into a Modern/COC game I'm running.

Or the zoologists short bit on the blurring of myth and reality. A perfect intro to a shadow chasers game.

I really like the predator movies. I mention Dog Soldiers because it is new to me and somehow I doubt it will be played a zillion times on the Turner networks anytime soon. Well that and the accents and submachine guns.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
It's cheesy in places, but the Sci-Fi channel often shows a movie called "Interceptor Force". That is great. More like X-com than anything else.

(Supposedly they are showing the sequel soon).

Remove ads