• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Must see movie for D20 Modern.

jonrog1

First Post
Actually, a must read book, possibly to become a must-see movie next year.

ICE STATION by Matt Reilly. Marines fend off hostile forces while exploring an underground ice station that may have just discovered a UFO. Sick sick, innovative action sequences and a ton of characters to steal for military-oriented NPC's.

herald

First Post
If you liked "Cast a Deadly Spell", catch "Witch Hunt". Dennis Hopper replaces Fred Ward, but the storry is just as good. It sort of does a "McCarthy-esce Red Scare" storyline twist with magic.

VorpalBunny

Explorer
Benedict said:
Another great movie to catch is Cast a Deadly Spell. An HBO movie from the early 90s (if memory serves), set in the 20s or 30s about an LA Detective in a world where magic is real. It's definitely got a Cthulhu slant, but not so dark.

Yeah.. this is a great movie. It's hard to miss the Cthulhu "slant" especially since the detective's name is H.P. Lovecraft :cool: The sequel wasn't as good as the first IMO, but I liked Dennis Hopper better than Fred Ward. :)

Dieter

First Post
Darrell said:

Personally, I preferred 'Predator 2.'

Primarily because I prefer "'ordinary guy' vs. big, ugly critter" stories to "muscle-bound military guy vs. big, ugly critter" stories; but also because Danny Glover, by himself, can out-act the entire original 'Predator' cast--without even trying hard.

Regards,
Darrell King

If you're looking for "ordinary guy vs. big critter", I'd highly recommend the underrated movie Split Second.

It's got Rutger Hauer vs. a creepy creature set in the near-future London. If anything, you gotta love the phrase on the cover.

"He's gonna need bigger guns." :)

omnimpotent

First Post
I suppose that it is possible that some unfortunate souls may not have seen "Big Trouble in Little China" yet. This is a condition that must be corrected.

P.S. I'm pleased to see that "Cast a Deadly Spell" has already been mentioned here.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Benedict said:
It's definitely got a Cthulhu slant, but not so dark.

I'd call it more than a slant...

(SPOILER WARNING)
(SPOILER WARNING)
(SPOILER WARNING)
...Especially what with Cthulhu rising out of the ground at the climax, and all. But it has a truly unique climax - I've rarely seen a film where casual sex saved the whole freakin' world. :D :D :D
Man, I would love to find that movie on video or DVD.

(SPOILER WARNING)
(SPOILER WARNING)
(SPOILER WARNING)

D-rock

First Post
I like the parts in Preditor when that guy played by Ventura walks around in heavy jungle foliage carrying a gattling gun.

SilentJay

Explorer
Another good d20M movie, well "good" is subjective here, is the HK action movie The Heroic Trio. Good goofy fun, somewhat reminds me of Big Trouble in Little China, and it's available on DVD domestically in North America now... mind you, I have no idea how good the dub job is on it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads