[Mutants & Masterminds / DC Adventures] Freedomverse Issue #1 "Black & White"

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
29lfrrr.jpg

Astral
Freedom City/Hunter Museum of Natural History
Afternoon
Round 0

"Don't worry, you only missed the Tarantula staggering around like a wide-eyed child at the space station for the thirteenth time today," Kevin – the Mystic Fist – quips in passing to Astral.

Heather smiled. “It is pretty impressive,” she agreed. “I still get much the same way.” She moved to follow the others, glancing over at Pseudo to give their leader acknowledgement.

Their eyes lock, and then Heather’s whole world twists around. She screamed as she was hurled through space before realizing she’d been sucked into the alien’s mind. She isn’t sure what she is seeing as she flies into an alien spaceship, sees thousands of pods, new aliens like Pseudo emerging, a vast, tentacled glob of raspberry jello suspending a brain…

Heather giggled. Raspberry jello.

But the tentacles are disgusting. Vast intellect and power try to crush her feeble human mind and she screams back at it, resisting, fighting. Insidious telepathic tendrils slid through her defenses, comforting her, urging her to give in, to be family.

I HAVE A FAMILY!

Heather counters, thinking of her sisters, her brothers, her friends at the meta-school in Atlanta that took her in after the murder of her parents, Vincent and Brooke Hunter and their daughter Phoebe, the foster family that took them in before Tamar could take care of them.

And then it was over. Heather barely felt herself falling to the hard deck plating. She groans as she comes to, the others standing over her with concern.

“I don’t...know what happened,” Heather answered Tarantula, putting a hand to her throbbing head. She felt the bump there from hitting the deck, but also the familiar tang of a telepathic migraine.

Heather looked up at Hex and nodded. She closed her eyes, pausing a moment to recenter herself, probing her mind. She touched that place deep inside of her, the hole in the fabric of the astral plane, and opened it a bit, just slightly. It should neutralize anything left in her mind, she hoped.

Pseudo would feel the astral plane around Heather become completely inaccessible for a moment.

Heather opened her her eyes and took a breath. “Other than the headache, I didn’t sense anything. If it was there, I hopefully destroyed it.”

Accepting help off the floor, Heather took a moment to grab a handful of Excedrin and joined the others on the teleport platform. Her stomach lurched and she knew they were back on Earth, feeling the difference in gravity.

Heather flew along beside the others as the made their way toward the Hunter Museum of Natural History. “It would have been easier for me to just come right here,” she commented. “We’re right next to campus.”

Police cars and STAR vehicles surrounded the museum and a big bulldog of a man charged over toward them.

"Aww crap! I told Kane my boys and me can handle this! We don't need a buncha amateurs mucking things up! You Leaguers can get the hell outta here before ya get someone shot!"

“Language, sir,” Astral scolded. “There might be kids around.” She flashed the big man a pretty smile, brushing back her long brown hair, now starting to gather snow.

“Why don’t you give us a rundown of the situation and we can see where best we can help, Captain Maddicks,” Astral said sweetly. “Under your direction, of course.” She refrained from batting her blue eyes, but struck the typical S pose of a superheroine, feeling a bit ridiculous. She was no temptress, and her sister would scold her to no end, but she’d been told she was attractive, and men tended to find the tight costume alluring. “After all, wouldn’t it besmirch your reputation if you had us available and failed to use us and the situation went poorly?”

OOC: Astral has Persuasion, so she can lead, if you like.

Persuasion: 1D20+4 = [18]+4 = 22

+2 from Attractive if it applies.

[sblock=Actions]
Move:
Action:
Reaction:
Conditions:
Hero Points: 1
[/sblock]

hero4hire

Explorer
"And we love you too Mr. Bulldog" Tarantula says with a smile (hidden by his mask of course). "But now that we got all dressed up and bothered to come to the party maybe we can be useful? After all, we are Freedom League", to which Tarantula stands straight and puts his hands on his hip. Looking at the others he says "Come up guys and gals, we are the Freedom League, let's look respectable."

"Preferably the someone who gets shot will be one of us," Hawk said. "And since bullets don't scare us, that would be preferable. Can you give us more information about what's going on?"

Hex shrugged at Maddicks. "Look, the Commissioner asked us to come. If you don't like it, take it up with her. In the meantime you're stuck with us, so you may as well use us. All we know right now is that there's a hostage situation involving two metahumans?"

Maddicks lit the stub of a cigar with a stone-face as the trio made their spiel. He gave a few puffs and blew a greasy cloud of smoke into Tarantula's face. "Yew Rookies can play spectators. Yew get behind the police tape with the rest'a the gawkers." He eyeballed the heroes expecting some sort of compliance as Astral approached.

“Why don’t you give us a rundown of the situation and we can see where best we can help, Captain Maddicks,” Astral said sweetly. “Under your direction, of course.” She refrained from batting her blue eyes, but struck the typical S pose of a superheroine, feeling a bit ridiculous. She was no temptress, and her sister would scold her to no end, but she’d been told she was attractive, and men tended to find the tight costume alluring. “After all, wouldn’t it besmirch your reputation if you had us available and failed to use us and the situation went poorly?”

Maddicks made a low throaty growl as he mulled over Astral's words. His face then twisted into a grimace that served as a smirk for him, and he thrusted a sausage sized finger into towards Astral "Yew and yer Posse of Showboaters got yerself Five Minutes...Muck it up and it's yer keister."

"Okay here is the sitrep. The hostages are being held in the Grand Hall. We got at least a dozen gunmen spread out on the floors overlooking the Hall and another half dozen in the Hall itself. Each armed with automatic rifles and class 4 hard armor. The hostages read like a Who's Who at the UN. Diplomats, Foreign Dignitaries, and Heads of State. Evidently, some kinda swank affair as tonight is the opening night the museum was showing 'The Heart of Dakana'. An uncut Black Diamond bigger than my fist. Security cameras and alarms have been cut off from a remote source. We can't access them or figure out how they got turned off. At first, we thought this might be a robbery gone wrong but it don't figger. The perps haven't made a move yet. But then again they might be havin' trouble getting past the plasteel case the diamond is in. As far as we can tell there are at least two Metahumans involved. Though we haven't had visual contact to confirm the identities; but we have seen evidence of a Pyrokinetic and someone with Superhuman strength. Several of the Guards suffered 3rd-degree burns and another was launched through some metal security doors in another part of the building."

OOC: Aid failures total a -2 circumstance penalty. But a 20 is still a success.

Shayuri

First Post
Hex nods. "Hostages in the Grand Hall...where's the diamond?"

With a glance at the others she says, "Let me get eyes on the situation before we go in."

After Maddick's reply, she takes a deep breath in and her head tilts back to stare vacantly upwards. Violet light shimmers in her wide, unseeing eyes.

The world dimmed to Hex, became something ghostly...she 'swam' through it, through the walls, into the building to get a look at the hostages and the guards around them. Maybe there was a direction they weren't guarding, some essential hole in the defense they could exploit. If nothing else, now that she'd seen where they were they could teleport in...though that would eliminate all chance for surprise.

Once satisfied she'd seen what there was to see with the hostages, she sends her projected self deeper into the museum, following the signs to the exhibit hall where the diamond was. Were they close to recovering it? Perhaps she might even overhear their plans...

(Remote viewing to do some reconnoiter!)

hero4hire

Explorer
[sblock=Hex]Hex sends her astral form into the museum passing the large skeleton of a T-Rex and into the Main Hall.
816MTAzvljL._SY355_.jpg

She sees the Hall has been redecorated in an African style theme complete with Tribal Masks and other Tribal works of Art. There is a large buffet table that has been smashed to hell. In the center of the room, there is a circular closed-in area that normally serves as a customer service desk now serves a more nefarious purpose. Dozens of guests are packed into the circle like livestock in a makeshift pen.
Main Hall (patrons not actually milling about)
metropolitan-museum-of-art-great-ha.jpg

There are at least a half-dozen men with automatic weapons in neo-nazi outfits complete with WWII style Nazi Gas-masks on the main floor and more covering each compass point on the overlooking second floor.
iron_sky_-_ss_troopers_zps07b9dda6.jpg

On the far end of the Hall, a dark armored figure is trying to computer-hack way through a Large Glass Display Case holding what can only be the Heart of Dakana.
blackdiamond_zps8128e870.png

heartofdakana.jpg

Overseeing the man is a figure that looks like he came from a Klan meeting.
johnnyreb-1.jpg

In the center of the Hostages standing where a large potted plant used to be is a more muscular man with a similar fashion sense.
whiteknight.jpg

You can see the 1st clansman start from overseeing the armored man and his head snaps in your direction. His brow furrows and he takes a step towards your astral form, he places the palm of his hand onto his saber.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Hex starts awake, snapped back into her body as she hurriedly cancels the magic. She sways for a second...it was always a little disorienting getting yanked back like that.

"Okay...there's three metahumans, not two. One's in black armor and he's trying to hack the diamond's security. The other two have hoods, like Klansmen. The fire one is with the hostages, another one has a sword and he's with the hacker. He...I think he saw me, which means he may be magically sensitive."

She clears her throat nervously. "There's a lot of hostages, all gathered in a circle around the information desk in the middle of the grand hall. Six or seven guards around them, dressed in world-war 2 looking gas masks. More guards on the second floor, all four sides, keeping watch from above."

"I could get us inside, but not quietly."

GreenKarl

First Post
Tarantula says "Well sneaking is kind of my thing... other then being an uber-cool spider totem for justice that is. I could try and sneak in, get close to where the hostages are being held and wait a bit. Then you bring in everyone else. If it is as noisy as you say that might provide enough of a distraction for the Nazi dudes covering the hostages while I focus on the fire dude..."

Shayuri

First Post
Hex thinks for a second and says, "If you can draw the fire guy and guards away from the hostages, I can bring us right into the middle of the ring of them. Then I can set up a warding to shield them from the guards while the rest of you go out and fight. Then I can ferry the hostages out and come back to the fight when they're clear."

(OOC - Basically once there's no one near the hostages I can Teleport anyone not playing lure in right among them. Then I set up a Magnus Ward around them in a wall...set up to Selectively affect them but not us. Then you guys keep the guards busy while I power stunt a short-ranged, high-capacity Teleport to get all the hostages out.)

GreenKarl

First Post
"Ah I like it" says Tarantula "But that all depends on the Nazi focusing on me and not the hostages. Got any good Nazi jokes? Also how are you going to know when I am ready? You did something to peek in there just now, can you keep that up until I pull my stunt? Then when you see me acting you pop in and save the innocent?"

OOC: Sounds good too me; If I can sneak in, then I will try Agile Bluff to do a Trick to make them focuses on me and not the hostages, maybe all attack me, etc.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases