• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E My All-Rogue Game

BigVanVader

First Post
So, a buddy ran a completely off the cusp game, and his one demand for us three players is that we all play Rogues, and we all be our race's equivalents of 18. (I wish I had known this prior because I was carefully crafting a Dragonborn Druid at the time, but it was no big loss. Character creation is awfully fast in this game.)

One guy made a Dwarf, another guy made a Halfling, and I made a Half-Orc. And since I made him like 5'3 and all squat with big hands and feet, it was joked that I was the 'muscle' of the group. Joked, because the Dwarf and I had almost identical stats. And we didn't get together to make our characters, either. Basically, my guy looked like this, but all green and with tusks:

GoonExclusiveCloseSm.jpg

Everybody had a really cool story. The Dwarf, named 'Fast Eddie', was sort of kicked out of his family because he's a constant screw-up, and constantly starts fights in the local town, which is our little hub. The Halfling, 'Cade Somethingsomething', was just a typical farmer's child, but the game started with his parents selling him to the local Thieves Guild. And, to the money-loving Halfling, the most painful part of this was that he was sold for thirty gold. And my Half-Orc, named 'Modulk Rooferson' but called 'Mud' by everyone because he's just a stupid Orc, basically lived as an urchin in the town, he was essentially a little latchkey kid that worked a million jobs on the street. His current and most beloved job was as an exterminator, where he fought rats in sewers and tavern kitchens with daggers and his shortsword, dubbed 'The Ratsticker'.

The game goes through a few convoluted twists and turns as we're slowly recruited(or sold to) the local guild that runs the show. Eddie is sprung out of the local jail after he starts a fight in the bar, and Mud is ambushed by two of the guys, as a sort of prank. A prank that ended with one of them being murdered, and the other one being grievously wounded before he managed to knock the Half-Orc out. The Halfling, of course, is just brought to the guild normally.

We end up being sent on a mission to steal something from the local arcane library, we end up burning it down after discovering that the librarian was a warlock, and everyone thinks we burned the library down and killed two 'innocent men', who really were guys from the Guild trying to complete our mission and take our credit. (Actually, one of them was only dying when I decided to let him live. I wasn't entirely comfortable with my character being a ruthless murderer.)

A bit more game happens, the Halfling is taken to jail to await trial, and the Dwarf just goes on the lamb. Fortunately, while all this happened, I had gone back to the library to find any more evidence of the librarian being a Warlock(which, btw, that little bit of information had the entire town start gossiping and panicking.). I sift through the rubble and find a jar of something called 'Gryphon Grease'. I sneak back through town, I find the house of the guy who survived(and who was obviously going to turn us in). I break down his door, I put the jar of grease on his shelf, and then I attack him with a shortsword and dagger until the guards find us from the commotion, right as I nearly kill the guy, and knock him unconscious. That's when I turn myself in and confess that I saw the two Warlocks start the fire, and that's why I came to this one's house to finish the job. So, the Halfling and I are put on trial(which is held outdoors, amongst the entire town.), I scare everyone with the revelation that the other guy was a Warlock, I find the jar of Gryphon Grease in his home, I show it to everyone who's by now terrified. They want to throw it in the cemetery, but I say that's a bad option, so instead we go out beyond the town limits, and I set it on fire, where it rages like an inferno, and the smoke rises in a little 'Gryphon' shape that even gives a little eagle shriek before it dissipates.

Boom bam bip, My Half-Orc isn't called Mud anymore, he's called 'Rufurd the Great', which is great fun for me because they still got his name wrong. Good running joke, that. He's found innocent, and he uses his influence to get the Halfling taken off of death row so to speak, as my 'apprentice'. And this commotion meant that the Dwarf was completely forgotten about, and could return to town safely.

It was a good game. And everyone was playing their characters like champions. And the DM had a lot of really great NPCs for us to bounce off of, I'm definitely looking forward to the next one.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Way back in Ye Olden Times™ a friend ran an all-thief game set in Lankhmar. There were six of us, and each chose a different "kit" from the 2E Thieves Handbook.

It was a great game. I think the "all thieves" group is the best single-class group for a game--unless everyone plays clerics of different deities.

Hmmm... that sounds like fun, too.

txshusker

First Post
That sounds pretty cool.

Last night, I bought an old Thieves World guide, which is a world based on the novels and anthologies from the 80s. The game ran on D&D 3.5 rules, but I figure it would be easy enough to convert any ideas that caught my fancy. Haven't opened it up, yet.

BigVanVader

First Post
Last night, I bought an old Thieves World guide, which is a world based on the novels and anthologies from the 80s. The game ran on D&D 3.5 rules, but I figure it would be easy enough to convert any ideas that caught my fancy. Haven't opened it up, yet.

Oooh, that sounds mysterious.

Rhenny

Adventurer
I love Thieves' World. I ran a 2 1/2 year 3.5e campaign beginning in Sanctuary. Most of the players were neutral. Lots of shades of grey..."what's in it for me" kind of stuff.

Rhenny

Adventurer
BigVan, awesome game. Keep it going. In addition to the Sanctuary game I ran for 3.5e, I also ran a mini-campaign in 4e using a Ranger/Rogue and a Wizard/Rogue. They were a great stealthy gang of two.

Good stuff.

BigVanVader

First Post
It's up to the DM to keep things going, but thanks, ha ha.

I became an Assassin because the DM bumped us all up to third level. Which is funny because I'm the only Half-Orc in town. "Hey, when did we get a short, green waiter? And where did that rat killer go, the pest problem is out of control!"

sunrisekid

Explorer
Can anyone recommend published adventure paths (any edition) suitable for an all-thief game? I probably only have a handful of adventure ideas for this, but the concept sounds like amazing fun :)

Riley37

First Post
I was in an all-rogue campaign, with the premise that the Campaign City had a thief guild, the boss of the guild had an advisory council of expert thieves, the boss vanished, and the PCs were the advisory council, suddenly now in charge of the guild.

We used blank booklets (often printed with blue covers, thus "blue books") for notes passed between players and DM. There were a lot of those notes. My PC had a secret background, using his position in the guild as a spy. Another PC faked his own death, to start a rival guild, successfully. (As a player, I wasn't sure whether the other player's PC was dead or not, but I certainly didn't guess what he was up to.) Lotsa intrigue. Good times.

Remove ads