• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

My Brawler Fighter and how fellow players complain

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Of course, this is D&D, so actually, the saying would be: ""Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will kill me even faster if spoken by a guy in robes and a pointy hat."

Kzach

Banned
Banned
It really depends on how you've conducted yourself up to now. We've only seen your side of the story but by the wording of the email, this is not the first time such a matter has been discussed. The email is harsh but then again, it sounds like he's at the end of a tether with you as a player.

On the surface, with the argument as presented, you were totally in the right with the rules and he was completely in the wrong in calling it cheese. Then again, for all we know, you could be a whiny rules lawyer who is constantly challenging everything the group and the DM says, creating unnecessary tension at the table and everyone is simply sick of it. I'm not saying that's the case here, I'm just saying that we don't know the full story.

Bagpuss

Legend
To use an all-too-apt metaphor, here: If you choose to build your suspension of disbelief out of fine, fragile glass crystal, I don't feel you have the right to complain when a thrown rock shatters it. You're playing D&D. Build it out of sterner stuff.

Again rocks or other improvised weapons I don't have a problem with pebbles, feathers, paper airplanes, etc. I do. Especially when their are much better options available that won't annoy everyone else at the table.

Let's say that you're playing a Half-elf Fighter. You take Astral Seal (the non-damaging ranged Cleric at-will power) as your Dilettante encounter power. Let's say you then pick up Versatile Master, allowing you to use Astral Seal at-will. It doesn't deal damage, it's not necessarily a stupid option to use, and it still marks the target - not by virtue of the power itself, but because it's used by a Fighter.

What would be your reaction to this?

A lot of effort to find an example, but I don't really have a problem with that, it being a magical effect and the target suddenly glowing is going to be a bit of a distraction. Also it is less likely to annoy the rest of the party since at least it has some tactical use.

Rune

Once A Fool
Anyone carrying around a bag of pebbles to use for marking is not carrying around a bag of improvised weapons. S/he is carrying a bag of sub-optimal, very much non-improvised weapons.

Improvisation is a key component for improvised weapons.

Prestidigitalis

First Post
Anyone carrying around a bag of pebbles to use for marking is not carrying around a bag of improvised weapons. S/he is carrying a bag of sub-optimal, very much non-improvised weapons.

...and is probably one of those pretentious people who so love to natter on about how chess is a child's game and only Go is worth playing.

Doombybbr

First Post
heck 1d4 + dex is WEAK and he would only ever use it i he cannot reach his target, I would probably let the character use a second miner action if they want to find a particularly sharp rock(that might even have mould on it-ongoing poison damage) as a perception check, so in general it is weaker than the character's weapon unless he gets lucky and gets a rock that does large damage.

Remove ads